whining noise

Chris180349
20

Asked by Chris180349 Jun 15, 2012 at 05:51 PM about the 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T

The car is a 2 litre Sport petrol version.
When I change gear there is a whining noise from the engine. I also notice the noise when in gear but the
engine is not pulling as the car is going down hill.
Any ideas?

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,715

Are you sure is from the engine? From what it sounds seems as a roller bearing maybe from the transmission or maybe is from a shaft. If it is 4motion could be the transfer case too. You need to be sure where the sound comes, drive it and try to identify the sound better so I can help you.

Chris180349
20

Hi Mark, Thanks very much for your reply! This Passat for not the 4 Motion model. When I say from the engine, I mean the engine compartment. The whining noise starts as soon as you try and engage a gear and continues after the clutch has been released. The only time the noise it seems to be less apparant is when I have my foot on the throttle. The noise is not consant as whatever is causing it, 'races' as the gears are being used. When the car is fully warmed up there is less noise but it is still present but is more difficult to detect. Does that help at all! Chris

Chris180349
20

Hi Mark , I have listened to the engine with the bonnet open, the noise comes from the area around the cam belt. The cam belt was replaced two years ago by VW but they did not replace the water pump. Could it be anything to do with that? Thanks, Chris

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,715

this could be an bearing from the distribution belt. i recommend you check that inmediatly. because if it breaks major damage to the engine can occur. also try this, with the engine running press the clutch pedal and see if the whining changes, if it does it is the bearing from the clutch assembly that is causing the noise.

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,715

it can also be any accesory on the front of the engine alternator, water pump, belt pulley etc. if you can buy an mechanics stetoscope from any parts suppliers to listen to the noise better if it gets difficult. another way is to use water on the bearings to see if the sound goes or changes. (they are not supposed to sound) any new info let me know and i will help some more.