What does STOP oil pressure stop motor mean

Chrisand Edwards
125

Asked by Chrisand May 17, 2013 at 06:23 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS

61,215

It means that you have no oil pressure. If you do not turn the motor off, you will be shopping for a new car. The engine replacement on a 2000 VW Passet would cost more than the car is worth.

Chrisand Edwards
125

how can it be fixed?

61,215

1. Make sure you have oil in the engine. 2. hook up a mechanical gauge to see if there is any oil pressure --- Were you just driving along when the warning lit? Was the engine quiet?

Chrisand Edwards
125

yeah the engine was quiet it now has a ticking noise but yeah was taken my son to school.

Chrisand Edwards
125

This is actually the 2nd engine. I was about 4 hours from home when the oil light came on and the engine made a loud noise like baseball cards in bike tires. We went to the junk yard and got another one and replaced the oilpan since the old one had metal fragments in it. The engine from the junkyard did good for about 3 weeks when the oil light came on and has a faint ticking noise. I refuse to drive it because the motors are so expensive.

114,635

Ticking noise is due to low oil. So the pressure guage is working correctly. So fill it up with oil and check for where the leak is. When you buy junkyard motors you never know how they were taken care.

Chrisand Edwards
125

The oil on the dipstick is where it needs to be. Do you think it could be the oil pump and would that help the ticking noise?

Brad Spear
165

The ticking noise you are hearing sounds like lifters. You have hydraulic lifters that use oil to keep up pressure to close the distance between the rocker arm and lifter. You probably have either a worn out oil pump or warn out bearings. I would hope for the oil pump.

Johnny_Montanez13
130

Hey so i just bought a 2002 vw passat and it keeps telling me STOP oil pressure stop motor. But i already change the oil like 3 times what could i do next? Please help me!

Brad Spear
165

Changing the oil will not make much of a difference, as you have discovered. You have either an issue with the sending unit, not very likely, or one with the internals of the engine, meaning the oil pump or bearings. Have these check out. You don't want to fry an engine due to low oil pressure.

sebastian_d
5

my 2001 vw passat has a faint ticking and says stop brake fault but my breaks work fine

Leslie Hernandez
10

my 2002 vw passat used to say that about my break but my breaks seemed fine until i went to go get them changed they really werent go get them changed before your car starts making horrible noises, also my vw is also making a grinding noise in the morning but only when warming it up after that its fine and then when i make sharp turns or usually also just in the morning it has a knocking sound and just the other day the stop oil pressure turn off motor also came on i turned the car off then back on and it hasnt done it since.

Clwinters1
0

My lights go crazy!!! tells me to do shit all the time.... Not making noise but now this stop thing keeps coming up... never owned a Passet before or any other foreign car... how do I even check the oil?

Clwinters1
0

Mine has always said shit and never meant anything...

Periquito PinPin
10

That's a big problem with Passat.

eptreehouse
20

My oil pressure light came on last night - it's about 0 degrees outside both last night and today. It's parked outside too. I have plenty of oil - could it be a dummy light? I've had to replace a wiring harness in it a couple of months ago and the electrical stuff seems to go haywire frequently. It's a 2006 Jetta 2.5 Should I be worried?

Eddy Hatfield
20

Hi I've got a 2002 passat 2.0 se was driving along and oil light came on then flashed saying check oil level so I've topped it up with oil to the top and the lights still on saying its low any ideas ?