What does STOP oil pressure stop motor mean

ChrisandMary Edwards
45

Asked by ChrisandMary May 17, 2013 at 06:23 PM about the 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS

45,635

It means that you have no oil pressure. If you do not turn the motor off, you will be shopping for a new car. The engine replacement on a 2000 VW Passet would cost more than the car is worth.

ChrisandMary Edwards
45

how can it be fixed?

45,635

1. Make sure you have oil in the engine. 2. hook up a mechanical gauge to see if there is any oil pressure --- Were you just driving along when the warning lit? Was the engine quiet?

ChrisandMary Edwards
45

yeah the engine was quiet it now has a ticking noise but yeah was taken my son to school.

ChrisandMary Edwards
45

This is actually the 2nd engine. I was about 4 hours from home when the oil light came on and the engine made a loud noise like baseball cards in bike tires. We went to the junk yard and got another one and replaced the oilpan since the old one had metal fragments in it. The engine from the junkyard did good for about 3 weeks when the oil light came on and has a faint ticking noise. I refuse to drive it because the motors are so expensive.

68,105

Ticking noise is due to low oil. So the pressure guage is working correctly. So fill it up with oil and check for where the leak is. When you buy junkyard motors you never know how they were taken care.

ChrisandMary Edwards
45

The oil on the dipstick is where it needs to be. Do you think it could be the oil pump and would that help the ticking noise?

Brad Spear
45

The ticking noise you are hearing sounds like lifters. You have hydraulic lifters that use oil to keep up pressure to close the distance between the rocker arm and lifter. You probably have either a worn out oil pump or warn out bearings. I would hope for the oil pump.

Johnny_Montanez13
10

Hey so i just bought a 2002 vw passat and it keeps telling me STOP oil pressure stop motor. But i already change the oil like 3 times what could i do next? Please help me!

Brad Spear
45

Changing the oil will not make much of a difference, as you have discovered. You have either an issue with the sending unit, not very likely, or one with the internals of the engine, meaning the oil pump or bearings. Have these check out. You don't want to fry an engine due to low oil pressure.