Can you help, I have a 1999 Suburban that the 4 wheel drive wont engage?

Asked by greglocal97 Dec 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LT 4WD

No blown fuses or service light. the 4 button(2 auto, 4lo, 4hi) switch is lit will stay in any position but 4lo

It may not be going all the way in to 4lo, could be a problem with the shift motor or an interal transfer case problem.

yes, shift motor or transfer case. Something is indicating a failure to shift into lo range. Are you stopped in neutral when shifting to 4lo?

The real problem is the t-case is stuck in 2wd. I gave what the switch was indicating as info on the problem. Yesterday I took off the encoder motor, The new one doesn't line up with the gear selector. I can't change the position of the selector using a 9/16 wrench open end wrench. It does not move at all one direction. the other it builds tension then returns to same position it was in. So I am stuck in 2 wheel. The part from Napa is to be installed with transfer case in neutral. I am unsure how to proceed, and if my T-case is shot. The encoder motor was trying to shift the t-case but seemed unable. Then when I put a wrench on the selector I couldn't get it to switch position either. Any help that doesn't require thousands I don't have would be great. The only thing the burb has to do is plow my driveway, we have been getting killed up here with snow. That said if someone knows how i can get to 4hi just once I will keep it there till spring. thanks Greg

I had an s10 blazer where the shift motor failed. I wad able to change gears with a 9/16 but it is by no means easy. I have a jack handle i used that i slid over the wrench. I dont think its possible to break the selector aside from rounding it off. Those little electric motors are powerful. There is no way i could have shifted the transfer case with my 9/16 alone. Not sure which way it goes but i belive it rotates clockwise into 4hi.

Darryl Kernahan

Noone has asked the obvious but, was the transmission in neutral not park?

I did ask that already, lol

Darryl Kernahan

Sometimes you have to remind people that PARK is not NEUTRAL. :)

This is true

Brian Buchanan

I have a 97 suburban it won't go in 4 wheel drive when I push the button in nutral I hear the transfer case switch over but the light stays blinking not ingaged in it will drive in a low gear but front tires ant spining

Mike Harrison

I have a 2004 suburban 2500 8.1 liter and all the 4wd selections work but the 4wd low makes a clunking noise twice while the switch blinks then goes back to 2wd I need help with this.