Chevy Suburban, 138,000 miles will not start

jcmnh
60

Asked by jcmnh Nov 12, 2012 at 05:19 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT 4WD

It just stopped running at a red light. Will not start, but sounds like it wants to. Starter is fine, alternator is fine, battery
is brand new, plugs are brand new, not the ignition modulator, rotor and distributor cap are fine, coilpak is fine, getting
white spark, sending unit is working, getting fuel pressure, timing chain is fine, we are stumped......

joef
3,735

Could be a bad idle air controler. They fail like that sometimes.

jcmnh
60

Thank you, I forgot to mention that until this happened the truck was running very smoothly, no issues at all....

18,435

How much fuel pressure? Are the injectors receiving a pulse?

jcmnh
60

fuel pressure is at 62, we think it may be the throttle position sensor- got a code for it

18,435

Are the injectors receiving a pulse?

jcmnh
60

They are receiving pulse. CHecked fuel pressure with a fuel pressure guage- we have fuel pressure, sending unit is working, spraying ether under the hood does not allow the engine to start even for a second. The throttle position sensor was not the problem- that was the only thing that came up on the computer. All fuses are ok. 6 mechanics are stumped, And in the meantime I have had no vehicle for 15 days.....

18,435

What is the compression?

jcmnh
60

I don't know, the truck belongs to me, I am relaying what my mechanic is telling me but Ron is not here right now. Are you talking about the compression with the injectors? Like I might need to rebuild the motor??

18,435

Compression of the cylinders.

jcmnh
60

He has not done that, but my truck has not been riding rough at all. Engine is quiet, accelerates smoothly, no bucking, no skipping, nothing that I have noticed at all. The only thing is the serpentine belt makes noise if it is wet, all the pulleys have been changed and the belt is the shorter one of the two for a suburban so it fits tightly enough- edges are not cracked or frayed. I have never sprayed anything on it, either...

18,435

Something is being overlooked, air and fuel in the correct mixture is compressed then ignited. Then your engine will run. What is the fuel pressure?

jcmnh
60

62

jcmnh
60

This is so frustrating and everyone is stumped. Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited funds to keep on eliminating issues after changing parts.....

18,435

Pull the spider injector out and make sure its working properly is the direction I would go in right now.

18,435

Also 62psi is high does it come down while cranking?

jcmnh
60

OK! I will tell him to do that..... thank you....

jcmnh
60

I will ask about the 62psi when he calls.....

rcrowsnest
0

did you check the main fuse bank on the drivers side under the hood. There is an ignition fuse under there that if it blows the entire engine shuts down.

Bradley Shelledy
855

Will it start with starter fluid?

noniko
0

So what is answer???

jcmnh
60

Because there was spark nobody thought it was the ignition coil, when the truck was put on the diagnostic machine, it still did not show that it could be it. The mechanic just decided to try it and that was all it was. A simple ignition coil.....