vr6?

exrider246
0

Asked by exrider246 Mar 01, 2013 at 07:34 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6

whats the difference with the vr6

Hettboy
3,405

vr6 is a v6 i believe. the normal volkswagen engines are 4 cyl. gas, or the tdi turbo diesel. the vr6 is a very strong running powerful motor.

45,615

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

garageman
925

Most conventional V6 engines use a 90 degree angle between the banks .The VR 6 is a narrow angle10 degree,and the combustion chamber is located in the piston top instead of in the cylinder head.Many years ago,VW and Audis engineering departments got into a competition with each other to see who could develope a V6 engine,weight and displacement were the key factors,Audi came up with the wide angle 2.8 L that is in widespread use,and VW came up with the VR design,both had there placeVW decided to use the VR engines because they were well suited to the sidewinder placement,in actuality the VR engine does not take up much more room than a four cylinder,but does make for a very tight engine compartment,these are not my favorites to work on ,the other big difference is the VR engine uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt,reducing maintenance costs.Both designs have pluses and minuses,my preference is for the Audi designed engine,it's a little easier to work on.

Michael Tutty
4,065

Garageman: You were almost right. Mo9st V-6 engines, at least ones designed from the get-go as a V-6, are a 60 degree V. V-8 engines are a 90 degree V. The G.M. 3.8 is one of the 90 degree V-6 engines, but that is because it started life as a V-8. One other difference with the VR-6 is that the cylinders are staggered, not directly opposite one another. The nestle between one another. I believe that it is the only V engine where both banks share one cylinder head, too.

garageman
925

You are correct I forgot about the single head on the VR engines,which again makes it look like a huge four cylinder,they also did some interesting staggering work on the crank throws if I am not mistaken,Most V6 engines that I have experience on are the Chrysler 3.8 which is basically a 5.2 with two cylinders lopped off the GM version is basically the same on their 4.3these are all 90 degree engines,As I do not work on a huge amount of domestic product.I try not to memorize more than I need to ,I do not want to corrupt my European minds memory banks !LOL!!

Armaan Rajwani
125

The VR6 is so special because it can fit into a space where an inline-4 would usually sit. The VR6 is an ultra narrow angle, 15 degree V6. It has 1 shared cylinder head as opposed to the norm of having 2 heads (1 per bank). Power varies anywhere from 174hp (in the 2.8L 12V unit), up to 295hp (in the 3.6L 24V unit). Keep in mind there are many variations of this motor ie: 12V 2.8L, 12V 2.9L, 24V 2.8L, 24V 3.2L, 24V 3.6L