Why does my 1999 suburban shudder at high speed?

timparker
0

Asked by timparker Nov 02, 2012 at 10:51 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 LT

My Suburban started to shudder slightly last year.  I replaced all four tires but it still shuddered between
65-75.  Recently the left front wheel bearing failed and I had them replaced as well as the front brakes
and re-packed the other wheel bearings.  I also had all four tires re-balanced by two different tire dealers
and had the car aligned.  Same problem.  Tearing out what little hair I have.

19,845

Sounds like someone may have installed the rotors improperly. Its a delicate procedure and lots of people don't realise it. It could be something else also.

gustang
735

Other things to check are your shocks & motor mounts.

19,845

Explain

19,845

Drive shaft counter weights may have busted off as well.

gustang
735

Worn shock(s) can cause tires to vibrate at certain speeds. A broken motor mount will cause the engine to vibrate.

19,845

On a small car i can see the shocks possibly causing the vehicle to shake but the suburban is probably close to 6000 lbs and that alone will prevent the tires from vibrating on a smooth road. The vibration is relative to vehicle speeds not engine so that would rule out motor mounts.

gustang
735

These were just suggestions. Go Luck.

timparker
0

Thank you all. I'll have the motor mounts checked anyway and then change out the shocks. If that doesn't work it's going in the lake.

Keegan Martin
335

It could be the u-joint or joints in the drive shaft. Does the vibration go away when you take your foot off the gas and coast?

Bryan Walsh
0

I have same problem between 65 and 75 mph, U joints were checked, vibration happens with pedal on or coasting, buddy thinks its the drive shaft

Dkvg
0

check the rims my parents 1979 chevy sub had 2 bent wheels that never showed up during a wheel balance they replaced all 4 rims and it worked fine