Have a short in my turn signals. The guy I bought the 91 Jetta off of had a new cluster put in and said once the lights on the cluster came on the turn signals stopped working. I had seen the fuse was blown and replaced it, they worked for a minute and blew again. Plus, replaced the water pump and some hoses now I don't have heat. I read on the same topic that there may be air trapped in the system so I am going to try to work the hoses this weekend when I have time. Lots of little things I need to fix. Heat is a major deal since it is now snowing FML. at least its a second car

Fastfem24
75

Asked by Fastfem24 Nov 23, 2012 at 06:52 PM about the 1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL

Michael Mierzejewski
2,540

Check the turn signal bulbs themselves. A lot of times the two contacts on the bottom of the bulb will mushroom and touch each other, resulting in a short. As far as heat, I recommend backflushing the heater core. Just run some warm water at decent pressure through it for a while. Youll be surprised at the crap those things have in them. Be sure to check the condition of the heater hoses and especially the piping that runs around the engine for the heater. They tend to rust on those cars and leak. Then run the vehicle ON A FLAT SURFACE with a full radiator until it warms up. Stop engine, open radiator slowly and let the air purge. Refill. Run engine, turn on heat. Again, let it warm up, then purge again. That should take care of any issue.

Fastfem24
75

Thank you!! Ill do that this weekend. I did put all new hoses in and the metal hose that runs around the engine. When I picked it up it had heat so, fingers crossed. I did find the light with the short. It's a marker light. Just took the bulb out for now and it hasen't been blowing any fuses. Ill follow it back in the line after I clean the bulb housing and put some electrical grease in there. Love these old project cars :)