EPC light came on and lost all power a week ago, having strange problem now. Help please!

Brennan Kilpatrick
65

Asked by Brennan Jan 17, 2011 at 03:34 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

about 1 week ago while I was driving on the freeway my EPC light came on and I had to pull onto the shoulder as I lost all acceleration. After restarting the car I got off the freeway ok (did notice a loud blowing sound though) and got to a gas station, then I disconnected and reconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the system.
Since then it hasn't happened again and my car appears to be running completely fine except for one thing: when I give it a lot of gas and really try to accelerate quickly I hear that same loud blowing or sucking noise coming from the engine. I'm assuming this has to do with the turbo since it only happens if I give it a lot of gas, but I'm only guessing here.
VW guy claims he has no idea what the problem is until he looks at it for $85 an hour, anyone have a good idea what the problem might be?

case
220

Hey man im having the same problem with my 03 gti. The light first came a couple weeks ago after there was a noticeable shift in power, light tug, feeling of a slight down shift. I preceded to drive the car home and left it parked for the night. The next day the light was off. However after driving maybe 15 miles the next day the same thing occurred, in addition my vehicle began stalling at stops and the EPC light switched to the check engine light. Again once parked the lights both EPC and Check Engine switched off. For the past week this is recurring every time i drive and again the lights turn off overnight. I have taken it to two mechanics whom state they cannot help because the lights do not stay on. Any suggestions??

Brennan Kilpatrick
65

someone posted on another website I may have a boost leak, but they were referring to how I mentioned I hear a blowing noise when I give it a lot of gas. My lights haven't come back on, but last night my MIL light came on (malfunction indicator light* I believe is what it stands for). Yet again the manual is very vauge about what can cause it, so I don't know whats going on. If I hear anything about the lights I'll post it on hear for you.

mrzee
50

i had the same thing a year a go took in to vw it was fule senser today i have the same problem i need to take it back

Richard Cotton
0

Check the vaccuum lines. mine had the same issue so i replaced my vaccum lines.

Curt Burley
105

Epc light is mostly known to come on when there is emissions probelms. Could be Lambda probe sensor (o2) on cat.

Larry Phanthavong
165

the check engine light deals with emission related problems. if there is a loss in engine power then thats when the epc light comes on.

You think this is helpful.
Emily Thiess
20

i was driving my 2003 vw new super beatle gls turbo today my oil light flashed checked my oil full levels then i later read in my owners manual that do not drive your vw if your oil is full and light flashes seek nearest vw dealership. i went to mcdonalds and on my way back home engine light came on car died on 83 in the middle of the road it most likely is my timing belt or hydro pumps possibly a loose sensor but non the less bought this car 3 days ago so they are fixing and replacing all parts for free downside im without my car for 6 more hours... DO NOT DRIVE IF OIL LIGHT FLASHES AND OIL IS FULL***** MEGA REGRET FOR MY DAY.. YOUR CAR WILL STALL **** JUST TAKE IT TO THE VW DEALERSHIP.... hope thats helpful... - em

Emily Thiess
20

THIS IS A RESULT TO THE STATEMENT I LISTED ABOVE ^^^^ CAR DIED IF LIGHTS FALSH DO NOT DRIVE IT HAD MY CAR 3 DAYS AND OFF TO VW FOR REPAIRS **** JUST LEAVE IT AT HOME OR DRIVE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP BC IT LITTERALLY STALLED GOING 40 MPH THEN NO POWER I COULDNT BRAKE NOR ACCERLERATE PULLED THE E-BRAKE BC YOU DO NOT NEED POWER FOR THAT PUT IT IN PARK HAZARDED IT AND LUCKILY I HAD A TOW TRUCK GET ME OFF THE MIDDLE OF N 83 (KINGERY HGHWY) RUSH HOUR EARLY MORNING HOURS **** ! I WAS SO FREAKING SCARED ** JUST DONT DRIVE IT IF YOU DO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP BC SOMETHING IS WRONG..

Nathan Brooks
110

Once about every week or two when i come outside my home and get in my 05 gti and start it up to go to work my EPC light and my ESP light cut on and stay on. If i start driving it down the road, ill get the loss of power.. I can pull off the side of the road quickly and restart my engine once with my key and the EPC light will cut off but my ESP light stays on.. Start it a second time and the ESP light resets... still trying to trouble shoot this. Im also not going to a VW dealer so they can tell me 6 other things are wrong and need fixing when they are not. haha.. I'll let you know what i find out.

Daragh
100

yes, i am having the same problems with a 08 DSG model, i've had the accelerator cable, accelerator and another valve replaced so far. its still happening! driving along and suddenly the EPC light will come on and i'll loose power, its really dangerous. does anyone have a fix for this problem??

Chad Campodonico
10

Had same problem.. Getting it back today.. They said my second cylinder was missing.. So I'm guessing it was a spark plug.

Tony Palese
20

I have a 2008 city golf done up a bit. When I put a cold air package on it and racing exhaust. The epc and red exclamation mark comes on. I have no loss on power just that lousy beeping warning. I took the negative off and nothing. It came on once. Went away and 2 months later came back

Tony Palese
20

New machine studios

genetix18
10

engine speed sensor

genetix18
10

this happining now to my 2004 audi a4 quattro 1.8t