Grinds in gears

Lanay Manley
135

Asked by Lanay Feb 21, 2013 at 01:48 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet Classic

I have a 93 vw cabriolet an it runs good except it gives me a little trouble getting in 1st gear an then second gear will grind a little bit its not to loud but it does seem weird an 3rd gear is the same as 2nd, Its like I have to rub my rpm's up high to get it in gear better or if I slip the gears in slow it seem a little better al well...Can someone please help me out with this im thinking I might have to adjust the clutch or get a new one or is it the transmission? an if I pump my clutch peddle a couple times it go's in 1st gear better.

69,545

It sounds like you clutch is not disengaging fully. Check the fluid level. If it's full have it checked out.

Scott Sr.
3,555

Your clutch cable may have stretched. If it's not the manually adjustable style cable, I recommend swapping it out. The automatically adjusting cables are notoriously fickle.

Lanay Manley
135

Thank you for your feedback...um so there is some kind of fluid to check on a stick shift? If so where do I check for that at? an yes my car has a adjustable cable so I can adjust it so im going to try that. thanks

Scott Sr.
3,555

There is gear oil...Hypoid GL90 weight I believe. There's a big socket head fill/drain port on the side of the transmission. Generally, it gets filled till it's just starting to drip out. I also cant recommend strongly enough to obtain a Bentley service manual...especially if you're gonna be DIY VW owner.

Lanay Manley
135

I found where the fluid go's an its full.

TherealPhil
90

Shift Linkage. They sound like they are worn out. New ones required. It's an easy fix and it will shift a lot better.