Check Engine Code P0171 System Too Lean Bank (1).

Greeneyezz714
20

Asked by Greeneyezz714 Mar 01, 2010 at 01:52 AM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

TI have been trying to knocking out each engine code as they appear.I'm left with this one last code. It's now appearing after doing a full tune up, replacing the gas cap, fuel filter, mass air flow sensor and purge control valve. I did some research and it comes up with a bunch of different possibilities. What I've noticed in the cars performance: it feels bogged down. At times the gas peddle can actually touch the floor. I also notice when i open the gas cap I'm not hearing any pressure come out. One thing after the next with this car! I'm grateful for any info.
Thanks!

Art Bartz
485

most lean codes are caused by vacuum leaks, check all the vacuum lines for cracks, breaks etc. Also at an idle, you can spray the vacuum lines, intake tube, intake manifold/gaskets, and injectors with brake clean, the vacuum leak should suck the brake clean in and make the motor stumble or die

ElkinsEric
0

^^Instead of using brake clean use a can of starting fluid. You car will rev up a little if it gets into the engine. Also a propane torch is good to use. Unlit of course. Also what kind of MAF did you put in? The reman ones are JUNK! Get an OEM replacement. Not a parts chain generic.

tyefighter
10

not to sound like a di*k but seriously make sure you REALLY tighten the gas cap down after you fill up or have it checked again could be faulty from mfg. i had this problem too (96 cab) and was told to wrench it closed...cleared the code and have not had it come back on...hope it helps