CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Greeneyezz714
30

Asked by Greeneyezz714 Feb 01, 2010 at 08:25 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLX Convertible

This car has been nothing but a nightmare but slowly I'm trying to get it up and running and to pass inspection. Trying to knock out check engine codes one by one.
I recently replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, Coil Pack and gave it a full tune up. There is 1 check engine code still remaining P0441. From the research I found I changed the gas cap but the code is still there. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thx

Mike Bonnell
8,245

You are going down the wrong path on this one .. this is not a leaking code but an insufficient control problem P0441 16825 EVAP Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow This is usually a Purge control valve staying open when it is supposed to be closed or vise versa - I would start by replacing that first and go from there. The use of a smoke machine is very important when diagnosing these types of problems. Check all the connections from the Purge control valve to the leak detection pump also Good Luck

Best Answer
Odin-Eliott Odinson
115

Don't give up....! That OBD code is the fuel vapour purge cannister system. Or EVAP-system. Theory: Easily explained the EVAP filters out Fuel vapours from the gastank. So the system consists of the complete fueltank, hoses, cannister, purge-valve and vacuum hose on intake manifold. If any of these gets broken, the purge system will not trip the purge sensor, and code P0441 are stored. The Parts: The purge valve (it's connected to the cannister via a tube, location behind airfilter box) will make a ticking sound when running the motor on idle and normal temp. Sometimes the rubber tubes for the EVAP and/or the vacuum lines on the intake manifold smolders (due to old age). If the ventilation-tube from the gas tank gets broken (or blocked), or the gas cap don't vent correctly the purging system will not function. Under the intake airfilter there's a charcoal canister. Sometimes the intake for it gets clogged. (The position makes it a bit exposed to clogging) Check the canister for cracks, and remove any debree from the intake underneath. Try this first. Usually it's something really simple like a loose line or a poor connection that is the problem. GOOD Luck.

Greeneyezz714
30

Thanks a bunch Mike! I just finally replaced the purge control valve and code P0441 has now cleared. There is however another code that came up right before replacing the PCV. Code P0171 System Too Lean Bank (1). I did some research and it comes up with a bunch of different possibilities. What I've noticed in the cars performance: it feels bogged down. At times the gas peddle can actually touch the floor. I also notice when i open the gas cap I'm not hearing any pressure come out. One thing after the next with this car! I'm grateful for any info you can provide with your expertise. Thanks Again!

Greeneyezz714
30

Thanks a bunch Odin! I replaced the purge control valve and code P0441 has now cleared. There is however another code that came up right before replacing the PCV. Code P0171 System Too Lean Bank (1). I did some research and it comes up with a bunch of different possibilities. What I've noticed in the cars performance: it feels bogged down. At times the gas peddle can actually touch the floor. I also notice when i open the gas cap I'm not hearing any pressure come out. One thing after the next with this car! I'm grateful for any info you can provide with your expertise. Thanks Again!