Power windows will only go down when using the key in the door???

Chris Dorsey
15

Asked by Chris May 06, 2008 at 01:11 AM about the 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

on my 1999 cabrio my power windows wont go down using the switches on the inside, but they will go down if u use the key in the door method.. Does anyone know what would be causing this?

Bobby Craven
225

probably a bad switch. go to a junkyard and get a switchset (the one that goes in the door on the inside) unplug the little plugs, plug in the new one and try it. That should work. Otherwise it could be fuse, but if that were the case it shouldn't work with the key. good luck!

Larry Thibert
1,090

fuse is ok as the window works with the key...try taking the door panel off and look for a broken wire (green with brown tracer)this is a common problem...hopefully this works

Ty Elliott
725

sounds to me like it's time for a real car... scrap the nazi mobile and buy a chev

DJPHANTOM007
30

I'm having a simular issue only in reverse. I can get my windows to go down but they won't go up. I've checked the fuses and relays and they all seem fine. I have 2 other vdubbs (99 Wolfsburg "& 96 Corrado). I also checked the switches by switching them with the ones from the other cars and I still get the same result. I just find it weird because all 4 windows can go down without a problem. My next step is to take the door cards off but i can't remember what wire is what (which make it go down and which make it go up). As for Ty's reply.....just so you know we bought VDubb's because we wanted a car that does more than drive in a striaght line and drink gas which is all their good for. There's nothing entertaining about watching a crapy American car go around an oval 200 times. And as much as I don't like Honda's, I'd drive one of those before I drove a Chevy. So Ty, you can keep your gas drinking, no handling, can't go over 100k without a complete overhaul, 2 lane hogging, piece of tin metal and give me a Volkswagon anyday !!! LOL

goforlaunch
40

I would love to know how you fixed this as we are having the exact same problem on all four windows...the windows go down, but won't go up. It just happened tonight and we haven't had a chance to investigate, but if there's something we should be focusing on, it would be a great help to know.

Gary Lindquist
10

I have an 01 jetta gls with the same problem. At first I thought it was the key being programmed incorrectly, so I tried my valet key which I knew worked before and it doesn't work now. So if you figure it out please let us know. Also GREAT reply to ty! My feelings exactly!

NKS969
50

Have same prob. There's a 30a fuse and a relay associated but I can't locate them. The fuse isn't under the left fnt dash. Anyone know where it is?

gdetinne
0

The 4 window down thing is possibly caused by the key switch in drivers door. I think they fail commonly.