HAVE 98 CABRIO, REAR PASSENGER WINDOW WONT DROP & POWER TOP DOES NOT WORK

ER
25

Asked by ER Feb 10, 2008 at 05:53 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

WINDOW WILL NOT GO UP OR DOWN

POWER TOP MOTOR IS ALIVE BUT IT WILLNOT MOVE THE TOP UP OR DOWN

papa

windo is probley a bad switch.power top moter may be bad,just because it has power to it does not mean it is working,i say motor is wornout.

23,635

Most common problems with convertible tops are relays, switches, and hydraulic cylinders. That said, I am unfamiliar with the Cabrio's operation -- is it totally electric, or does it use hydraulic cylinders. If it is totally electric, I would suspect that the top relay is crapped out. If hydraulic, you will need to check the level of hydraulic fluid in the pistons located in the trunk area. I would suggest contacting Hydro-E-Lectric or Convertible Service, both online, for some assistance with your problem, as they will be able to tell you more specific info. about the operation of the VW top mechanism. I am more familiar with GM and Chrysler tops.