How many miles can a 1983 Toyota Celica ST typically get before the engine is done?

celica83
0

Asked by celica83 Mar 01, 2013 at 08:31 AM about the 1983 Toyota Celica ST coupe

Hi! I am wondering how many miles a 1983 Toyota Celica ST can typically get before the
engine is done. I am looking at buying a used one with 205,000 miles on it. I test drove
it yesterday and everything seems strong. Just wondering what the life may be on it.

And if it needs any repairs (the current owner hasn't had to replace anything), what
might that be?

One last question. For insurance purposes, does this car classify as a sports car or a
regular car (since it's an old car)?

Thanks!

49,665

The length of service depends on how it was treated. Did it have regular oil changes? Adult driven? Urban or rural? --- Have it checked out by a mechanic. Have a compression test done to check the health of the rings and valve guides. --- Check with your insurance agent for the classification.

5,675

I have an 85 celica and insurance is cheap. Its got a 22r motor which are known to last a long time but the timing chain HAS to be done every 80,000-120,000. It makes a chattering sound towards the front when it starts getting loose. These motors are noisy in general but the timing chain noise is pretty noticeable compared to the normal. What i would do is take the valve cover off and check the timing chain for looseness or see if the driver side chain guide is still there or broken from being slapped. Other than that its the basics about buying a 30 year old car with over 200,000. Check everything unless its just dirt cheap.