Fuel pump not pumping any gas.What happened?And how to fix it.What might be the problem?

Asked by Niceerae Sep 03, 2012 at 01:29 AM about the 1989 Honda Civic DX Hatchback

Running yesterday test drove it. We park it and the next day we turned it on and it wouldn't start. Replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter,it still wouldn't start.There is no gas flow to the throttle body. It will turnover but won't start. I'm thinking something to do with the wires.  

ther is a fuel pump relay under the driver side dash chang it

Kurt Valberg

I agree with MRC40. There's a Main Fuel Relay located under the dash on the drivers side. There's 7 wires to the plug that feeds into the relay. It's smallish in size, but it's only held up by a single nut. It might be hiding behind a big silver box for the cruise control. Anyways, pull that Main Relay out and either take it apart and re- solder the connections, or drop $70 for another one at Autozone. (If you can get one of your electronics buddies to do it- even cheaper than buying new.) Another idea- check all your fuses, even under the hood. Last idea- there's a ground point near the thermostat housing. Make sure that ground point is clean, un-corroded, and the 10mm bolt is tight. That ground feeds much of the electronics for the fuel injection. Oddly enough, it also feeds to the Main Relay for the fuel pump.

if this car has a distributor it has a two stage pick up unit on for spark,one for pump via the ecm