Car won't run with air filter.

helpIamnotamechanic
0

Asked by helpIamnotamechanic Mar 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM about the 1989 Honda Civic LX

Bought this civic for my kids to drive and it did not have an air filter on the intake. We bought a air filter, but when it is on the car will not start. Is the carburetor bad?

aztec626bf
7,105

I would check engine vacuum and cylinder compression. If the car was run without air filter for extended periods you could have excessive cylinder wear. This would cause low compression and low vacum. The cylinder wear would have to be very significant in order to cause it not to run with intake filter.