1985 Honda Accord SE-i, 1.8 L, 130,000 miles, automatic trans. My problem is trans oil has burnt smell, and surges at abnormally high RPM when it finally will shift (or "slip") through the gears.

erlendson
0

Asked by erlendson Nov 27, 2012 at 07:53 PM about the 1985 Honda Accord SE-i

After it warms up, the shifting is much smoother.  This situation has only worsened over the last 6 months.  Before that I never noticed a transmission problem.  A mechanic friend said I need a new and complete trans.  No fix will do.  I just baby it now through the gears.  I feel it may fail totally anytime.  Suggestions?    Thanks,  Scott

1,785

try changing the transmission oil and filter

Robert Dempster
0

There is no replaceable filter on those, but I would definitely try changing the fluid.

Robert Dempster
0

You should check out 3geez.com. It is the community for the first 3 generations of Honda Accords. Lots of info and people to help there also.