I'd like to increase the performance a little without spending a bundle. Is it possible on my 2000 Mercedes SL500?

Asked by TeddyP Oct 27, 2013 at 09:42 AM about the 2000 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500

I'm happy with the performance of my 2000 SL500, but a little more performance is
welcome. Is there some way that I can improve the performance without taking out a
I've had it for three years and I know that Mercedes repair rates are extremely high.
only change that I've made is to replace the stock filters to K&N filters. I just turned

Mick Stewart

SL was supposed to stand for Sports Light but even from the early days they were anything but. Put the old girl on a strict diet and get rid of all the excess weight. your electric seats, don't be lazy man, rip those bitches out and get rid of the heavy ass electric motors. Aircon, why? you got a convertible so tear it out and just have a heater for winter. Folding electric hardtop? get a manual ragtop! just lose as much weight as you possibly can... Get a stainless freeflow exhaust. If all this sounds a bit extreme and isn't really what you were after, take an advanced driving course and learn how to properly utilise the power the car already has

Thanks for the sarcastic answer Mick. I don't know what you do for a living or if you're even employed, but a suggestion would be to hit the stage where you may be a little more appreciated. A simple No would have been a good answer. If you have read my question instead of trying to cleverly answer it, you have read that I was happy with the performance most of all. A little more performance is always good.

there are performance "chips" for the computer- go to a MB performance website or forum- Mick had some good ideas but doesn't understand that a MB is not a '50s hot rod

Mick Stewart

Lol sorry. Lighten up tho, it wasn't all sarcasm. The easiest way to gain a little extra performance for free is to lose weight, even if It's not a hot rod. A superchip however, is also a good idea. I also wasn't joking wen I said exhaust, cats and centre boxes are primarily designed to quieten the car/clean the exhaust gasses etc, but at a cost. In some cases as much as 10 - 12 extra horses. Job wise, currently a furniture maker, previously auto parts advisor and before that Mercedes mechanic at Boss parts Mercedes in Leeds, UK.

Thanks I appreciate the input. I'll look into the performance chip that sounds like the most viable option. Mick, I hope I didn't offend you I was trying my hand at sarcasm. LOL

Mick Stewart

dont sweat it, i dont offend easily.