is it ok to use regular oil and regular gas in an ML430?. If 'no'..why not?

JEB36
10

Asked by JEB36 Dec 03, 2012 at 10:23 AM about the 1999 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430

142,365

The engine is a high compression and was designed to accept Synthetic and 91 or better octane. You will sacrifice MPG and introduce more wear to the engine and sludge.

JEB36
10

Thanks Tom.

John Leone
6,435

regular oil, yeah, reg. fuel if you don't mind feeling the engine pre-detonate go for it...

jtolfree
255

I would use the synthetic oil and use a fuel with an octain rating of 91 or higher. It will just make your car run better, sound better and make the engine life last longer.

John Leone
6,435

as of why, the less expensive fuel, does not burn as fast the engine is designed to detonate combustion at a specified time, and it will make it delayed hurting fuel mileage. and can clog the filter. the synthetic oil is thinner, and the ports the oil travels are small, so the faster it travels, the faster it lubricates preventing engine wear...the most damage to an engine happens when it is first started....with frequent or regular oil changes it won't make a difference with regular or synthetic/.

meAssassin
70

I know this is relatively old, but just in case someone is looking at old posts... Lower Octane fuel burns FASTER, not slower. It is MORE combustible, not less. The HIGHER the octane the more the resistance to detonation. This is why using a higher octane fuel than designed for, has no value. If the engine is not built to compress (higher compression) the fuel, it simply will not get all the energy out of it. This is why so many people fail their state emissions tests. They wrongly think using a higher octane fuel will give them better results.Thus they end up with higher unburned hydrocarbons. It is the opposite. The lower octane will detonate earlier and more completely. If your car is designed for 87/89 and you keep dumping 91/93 into it, all you do is dirty the oil, damage the catalytic convertor, and pump unburned hydrocarbon into the atmosphere. Oh yea, and waste gas money. As to synth oil vs regular... Well, the ML is designed fro 10K mile oil changes. Use non-syn and you WILL dirty it up, increase need services, and decrease life.