My ignition key will not turn to off. I can remove the key, but it stays in the accessory mode. What's the fix?

statman
0

Asked by statman Feb 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Base

judge_roy

turn it on, turn the steering wheel so it's pointing directly forward, then remove the key.

7jimmy7
9,685

I thought accessory mode is below on.

GMCustomerService
1,375

Stateman, Sorry to hear you're having this issue and hopefully you will get it resolved quickly. Please refer to your owner’s manual. pg. 2-14. Ignition Positions, the ACC (Accessory) (B): unlocks the transaxle. It also lets you use things like the radio and windshield wipers when the engine is not running. To use ACC, turn the key clockwise to the first position. Use this position if your vehicle must be pushed or towed, but never try to push-start your vehicle. If your key seems stuck in OFF and you can’t turn it, be sure you are using the correct key; if so, is it all the way in? Turn the key only with your hand. Using a tool to force it could break the key or the ignition switch. If none of this works, then your vehicle needs service. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Eurogirly
40

PLEASE HELP. My Malibu 2001 ignition key always, always gives me a hard time trying to turn off the car. I have to sit in the car and wait , keep trying back and forth drive around a bit, turn the wheel, it is so frustrating! I bought the car just last month. What is the problem?

judge_roy

https://www.google.com/#q=My+Malibu+2001+ignition+key+lock&tbm=shop

judge_roy

think this MAY be one with a tiny hole in the 8 o'clock position when you turn the key past the ACC position and push a small scredriver into the hole to release the lock...think that's perhaps how you pop them out~