My ignition key will not turn to off. I can remove the key, but it stays in the accessory mode. What's the fix?

statman
0

Asked by statman Feb 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Base

judge_roy

turn it on, turn the steering wheel so it's pointing directly forward, then remove the key.

7jimmy7
11,995

I thought accessory mode is below on.

GMCustomerService
1,925

Stateman, Sorry to hear you're having this issue and hopefully you will get it resolved quickly. Please refer to your owner’s manual. pg. 2-14. Ignition Positions, the ACC (Accessory) (B): unlocks the transaxle. It also lets you use things like the radio and windshield wipers when the engine is not running. To use ACC, turn the key clockwise to the first position. Use this position if your vehicle must be pushed or towed, but never try to push-start your vehicle. If your key seems stuck in OFF and you can’t turn it, be sure you are using the correct key; if so, is it all the way in? Turn the key only with your hand. Using a tool to force it could break the key or the ignition switch. If none of this works, then your vehicle needs service. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Eurogirly
130

PLEASE HELP. My Malibu 2001 ignition key always, always gives me a hard time trying to turn off the car. I have to sit in the car and wait , keep trying back and forth drive around a bit, turn the wheel, it is so frustrating! I bought the car just last month. What is the problem?

judge_roy

https://www.google.com/#q=My+Malibu+2001+ignition+key+lock&tbm=shop

judge_roy

think this MAY be one with a tiny hole in the 8 o'clock position when you turn the key past the ACC position and push a small scredriver into the hole to release the lock...think that's perhaps how you pop them out~

Tindellmania
20

On my 2001 Malibu I have to smack the gear shift while its in park, towards the radio, a few times until I hear a slight buzz from the shifter and then the key turns off. I can also remove the key at all times, running or not in any position. Hope that helps

jacquesarasota
0

I turned off my 2013 malibu, left the car with the key in my hand. Came back an hour later and the car was running. Anyone having this problem. The car literally did not turn off and I had the key with me.

Laguana Zinkula
10

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic and I have had problems with my ignition switch for the last two years. It will start and run great but when I go to shut the motor off, it won't. I understand your frustration. I know there is a recall on a lot of GM cars and mine is one of them. But the repair is not a new ignition switch. It is a piece of plastic to cover your key, to keep you from putting any extra weight on your key . Like key rings or house keys. GM says that the extra weight my cause the switch to turn off during driving and result in crashes. But my problem is exactly the opposite. I cant get it to turn off and my key wont come out till I wiggle wiggle wiggle and reshift, restart, reshift, restart my car. Then if I don't have time to do all that I have to get out and unplug my battery cable so that it don't drain my battery power while its sitting there in ACC and wont turn completely off. I love my car. but this part of it has been extremely frustrating. I believe that GM should be replacing the entire ignition switch in these recalled cars not just placing a little plastic cover over my key to keep me from adding weight to my key. Because as I read more and more about these cars. They are almost all having ignition issues of one kind or another. The fact mine won't shut off is not life threatening but none the less forcing me to leave my key in the ignition cause it wont turn off and release the key is not safe at all. So if you are having the same or any problem with your GM car please check for recalls on the GM recall web site. Maybe they can do more for you than they did me. Sorry but I don't have that link.