Door latch won't close

mdh992
35

Asked by mdh992 Feb 10, 2013 at 04:27 PM about the 2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class 2 Dr CLK320 Coupe

Sat down  in the car and closed the door, but out of the blue, the door wouldn't latch.  Got nothing. I wasn't
aware, but the latch apparently closes electronically.

The lock button on the dash still  moves the lock levers up and down, but the latch still does not hold. The door
button moves the lock levers up and down, but the latch doesn't hold. The key fob, however, does not move the
lock levers up and down.

Has anyone else experienced this, and/or have a suggestion on the fix?

judge_roy

your system wants to 'find home' position. Open all the troubled latches, make sure the pawl is in the "ready to accept" position. Close, and allow it to finish the job. You must let it go into the correct orientation. It is not that smart to know when someone is tryin to close when it's closin' already...leammee alone?...puh~

mdh992
35

Thanks Bob for the quick response! Is the "pawl" the "c-shaped" clip in the door that closes around the post on the body of the car? If so, I'm sure that the "ready position" means having the open part of the "c" facing the post that it closes on. I don't recall it's natural position when the door is open but will check. If that piece is the prawl, I can move it freely with my finger. I checked the passenger door, and that clip moves just as easy. So, at least I don't think that piece is broken. When this whole thing happened, I was away from home. I made it home by just holding on to the door handle. If I didn't hold the door closed tight enough, the car acted like the door was open - by that, I mean that the window opens slightly and the bell starts ringing. When I pulled the door tighter, the bell stopped, and the window closed completely, as it would when you normally close the door. I was able to hold it this way for an extended period, but it still never latched. So, I'm wondering how long it should take for the door to know that it's in the right position to latch? I'd think that it would be less than, say, 30 seconds. Right?

judge_roy

Really this whole thing is way out of my league---just basics, the door or lid needs to deposit itstelf in a ready receptacle. That's the logic. really want to be a hero today, but am building my castles in the air~

7jimmy7
11,255

return spring fell off inside at latch mechanism ,thin oil if not spring, gumby strap if must use car in emergency

judge_roy

Are we good now?

mdh992
35

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll give it a look tomorrow, and report back. Cheers!