1997 dodge ram 2500.. engine making noise, and pwr is suffering. any ideas?

reverend1735
625

Asked by reverend1735 Apr 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM about the 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT Standard Cab LB 4WD

My 97' dodge ram 2500 has 225,500 and is shifting fine.  But it seems as though it just doesn't have quite as much get up and go as it should.  and when the truck is running, there is kind of like an airy sound or kind of like a slight whistling noise coming from under the hood.  and it gets louder whenever you are giving it gas.  Any ideas as to what it could be??

14,215

Have seen catalytic converters start to come apart and cause a blockage in the exhaust. It will make the whistle noise when its stopped up and that would for sure contribute to low power.

judge_roy

sadly it's the EGR valve what puts exhaust gas into the intake upon de-celeration ...it's full of carbon, doesn't have proper instructions to open or there is a vacuum control hose that is sucking air and whistling...replace all butyl rubber hoses with silicone that'll never leak. what you might find on any BMW or at summit racing supply. You can find a vacuum leak by putting an unlit propane torch in front of the suspected leak and rpm's will increase....replace that hose with a silicone one.

judge_roy

disassemble and clean or replace your egr. and the earth will begin to turn in the right direction.

14,215

Propane torch again! How many people do you think actually have one? And you seem awful sure its the egr valve never having seen the vehicle.

reverend1735
625

where would I find the EGR valve? would it be under the air cleaner

14,215

Its bolts to the intake manifold somewhere. Look for the part in the picture should look very similar. Usually if there is a problem with egr the check engine light will come on since it is an emission item.

judge_roy

on the exhaust manifold, with connection to the intake plenum~

judge_roy

...dirty little bitch...

judge_roy

see if I can find a cartoon fer ya- there are skads of illustrations...it's mind bending...

judge_roy

specifically for dodge ram: