transmission won't shift out of neutral

Tony Oglesby
45

Asked by Tony Nov 18, 2013 at 06:05 PM about the 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie Quad Cab SB 4WD

I woke up for work, started the truck, tried to put it in gear and it went straight to Neutral
and won't come out? Help me out here...  Fluids are good and am stuck right now.

judge_roy

okay the shift linkages have gone off...the reason....perhaps the transmission mounts and/or engine mounts have gone off...seems a little young for this to happen....but we do put our trucks to the test occasionally~ https://www.google.com/#q=2006+Dodge+Ram+Pickup+1500+transmission +mount&tbm=shop&spd=13281863402990886305

judge_roy

https://www.google.com/#q=2006+Dodge+Ram+Pickup+1500+shift+linkage &tbm=shop&spd=4706457920437197169

Best Answer
Tony Oglesby
45

I'm going to try this now. Thanks Brother!

judge_roy

Don't replace it if it ain't broke...please...some of these items are pricey...think which would wear out or be subject to damage....replace only these wear items....please....afraid of being accused once again of being a "costly" type guru here~

judge_roy

geometry puzzle...you must think of what is being affected...simple~

Tony Oglesby
45

I appreciate it. I don't accuse, just looking for some help and answers. Any help right now would be greatly appreciated!

Tony Oglesby
45

I don't know what it's called. But, there is a cable (Shift Linkage Cable) that was melted from the exhaust pipe. I can change gears by hand on the transmission and it shows up when I turn the key on. (P R N D 1 2) It goes into all the gears when I do it by hand. would that cable alone be my Problem? Just asking before I go to the Dealership for parts.

Tony Oglesby
45

And... Is replacing that cable going to be a pain in the ass? Just wondering. Thanks Roy for all the Help!