2005 dodge ram 1500 won't move when in gear

whiskeytangofoxtrot
0

Asked by whiskeytangofoxtrot Feb 11, 2010 at 06:33 PM about the 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

My truck starts fine, idles fine, and will even shift into any gear. The problem is that it won't move when it's in gear. I shift it to drive (or reverse or anything else), give it gas, and the engine just revs no matter how many rpms I give it. The shift cable is fine, the transmission fluid is good. It's throwing codes P0700 and P0841. I found a transmission service bulletin (TSB 21-007-06) that says a bad transmission cooler return filter and transmission sump filter can throw those codes, but would that also make my truck just sit there? Then, I cannot find where to purchase these filters. Can anyone help me here? Am I on the wrong track? If not, where can I get these filters that need changed?

Thanks!

Gummadoom
60

I had the same problem on my 2005 dodge ram 1500. Turn out to be the fluid pickup tube assy. had fallen out an was lying in the transmission oil pan.

Kara Berrier
40

I'm sorry to hear that, i thought i was the only one that has that problem. What did you find out? I am just now having the same problem. There was no warning. I got up for work, went out to my truck and nothing just like you. I am going to open the pan tomorrow to see if anything looks out of place.

Dan Connell
5,155

it sounds like the torque converter isnt getting any fluid, and with out fluid to the torque converter it basically acts like a manual when you push the clutch in. id pull down the transmission fluid pan and bam theres your sump filter right infront of you and go to your local napa and they should have the filter, i can almost garuntee thats the issue, if it was the return filter your system would just build pressure and more than likely either blow off a line or it would keep your converter locked and when you come to a stop after driving you would stall out cause the oil in the converter has no where to go.

papa

sounds like your tranny has burned the clutches and gotten into the filters which is why you getting the codes,drop the pan see if it is a greayish color and thick on bottom of pan,if so,clutches are gone.the filters you mention are internal.

Mandoman
80

Hi well I don't have your answer but I do have the same problem with my truck 2006 ram 4x4 mega cab I already replaced the two trany filters and it ran fine for two day. After the 2 day is doing the same thing now it woun't move again. Any one has another suggestion. We should really make a dodge ram problem club

papa

sounds like you got the same problem,you do know that dodge has its own trans fluid,if u put dextron or anything else in it,it will burn it up.

Mandoman
80

Yeah I have the ATF+4 fluid I replaced the two filters it worked for 2day now is doing the same thing. I'm thinking maybe a sensor. Stay in touch we need to find out what this problem is

headstrong569
85

well i can't answer your question but I am having the same issue with my 2005 2500 5.7ltr hemi auto tranny. I haven't hooked it to a code scanner yet but its strange how my wife was just driving down the road and poof no response from the tranny. Truck starts fine, idles fine, goes into all the gears but no matter how high the RPMs it won't move. I't won't even jerk like most trucks do when you first put it into gear. anyone have any answers please feel free to contact me at headstrong569@yahoo.com

ryan01
150

i work at a small tranny shop and we just rebuilt this same exact tranny for a 04 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. we had the same problem after completely rebuilding this tranny. the tranny was burnt so it needed to be done but when we put it back in it would shift into gear but would not move. inside the pan on these trannys there is a filter that looks exactly like an engine oil filter just smaller. when these filters get cloged there is not enough fluid pressure for this tranny. you need 125 psi. we only had 23 psi. so buy the filter and a new pan gasket and replace it. if that doesnt there is also a line pressure sensor that is about 120 dollars.

lovemy4x4708
50

hey ryan i have a question for you buddy since you work at a tranny shop.i have a 2005 dodge ram slt 5.7 hemi and the parking paw is making a clanking noise everytime you put it in gear or take it out. the parking paw is on the left side of the tranny so can i drop the pan and fix the problem and what problems are known for the parking paws? not sure how to find out what kind of tranny i have? thanks buddy!! really need help.

Mellie64
260

I seem to have similiar problem, drive 2005 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi. I put it into drive and press gas and engine rev's truck doesnt move for at least 20 secs? In reverse it doesnt do that? what is up? And is this expensive

jRUSSELLtrc
240

my 2005 dodge ram 1500 slt 4x4 will not move rite until it is warm when i first start it i put it in drive and it acts like it is slippen but if its warm it dont do that it goes rite into gear and takes rite off with out a problem cold it wont move very well why does it do that

twisty
10

08 ram 1500 just did an engine swap, same tranny problem only when cold was about 15F today and truck sat for 3-4 days.

wadehagemaster
70

before you put the filter on put the round seal on with a socket and a hammer drive it into place if you do not do this it will fall out. After this put the filter on with the one bolt if the filter falls down on the front it willnot work start over this should fix your problem it needs 125 lb of presser with that seal not all the way in does not pick up the fluids JIFFEY LUBE changed mine and it fell out so i did it myself and it works fine now

azpapawolf
60

wadehagemaster was right on. It fixed my 2005 Dodge Dorango. One morning the car sudenly quit moving without warning. After removing the transmission pan I found the oil was clean but the front of the filter was loose. I pressed a new seal in with a 3/4 in. socket and installed a new filter. Car runs as good as new. I had previously had the filter and oil changed at Amco.

2002dodge2500
60

I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 and we were camping hooked the camper up and drive it home and when we went to back up nothing, I runs fine forward, when you put it into reverse it sounds like it trying, no grinding or anything, just wont move. I am going to try to drop the tranny pan ad replace the filters. Thank You all for your posts.

Pokerchip
130

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. This morning while driving down the road it acted as if it just jumped out of gear and quit "pulling". I did notice that it was making a whining sound up to the point when I turned it off. When I restarted it was still making the same sound. It will not move in any gear. I was told that it was the Torque converted and transmission and would cost about $1600.00 to rebuild. Any comments or suggestions?

TheBear51
65

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 litre. I replaced the front seal in the 46re transmission, and now I cant get it to shift into any gear. Never messed with the linkage just took it off ang put right back on.

You think this is helpful.
mattm1962
30

Hello. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, with a 5.9L Magnum. Yesterday with no problems whatsoever driving, and after the truck had sat a couple hours; 2 minutes after starting up again, and driving through a parking lot, then at 10 miles an hour the fluid completely dumped out. Does any one know what could cause this, besides a hole in the transmission fluid pan? Thanks ahead of time for your input Matt, in Denver. 12/7/2013

lawnman
30

I have a 06 Dodge 1500 with the 5.7. When you take off its just dragging I have to get it to about 3 rpms and it start doing ok but it doesn't seem like it has first gear. Anyone have an idea?

fixitright4less
60

Hello all - BIG thanks to Ryan01 and Headstrong569 especially, because I have an 06 Durango that had the exact same issues and your answers helped fix it! Actually found out from my local auto parts gurus that the 2006 Durango has TWO transmission filters - go figure! Removed oil pan, drained fluid, replaced BOTH filters and added new pan gasket after cleaning everything meticulously with lint-free rags and solvent, and TA-DA! Runs like a champ! Of course I had to consult my repair manual and several online sources for the how-to particulars, as well as the knowledgeable guys at the auto parts store, but now I know that this needs to be done every 30,000 miles or so. Huh. Learn something new all the time!

fixitright4less
60

LAWNMAN - just saw your post and wanted to tell you that my 06 Durango was doing the same thing you described prior to just flat not moving. It had been "dragging" at takeoff for well over a month, and didn't seem to want to get over 2000 rpms until we were on the road. Had resorted to putting it in 2nd before trying to take off just to get enough power to keep from being rear-ended! Checked everything we could think of (well, obviously not EVERYTHING!), including fuel injectors. So, long story short, if you haven't changed out the transmission filter(s) recently, it's worth a try. Much cheaper than having to take it in for diagnosis, which you will need to do if the filters don't help. Changing them DID resolve that problem for me, though. Best of luck!

You think this is helpful.
builderguy3
35

94 ram1500 318 4speed auto - works in reverse and 1st - slips in 2ndd and drive? Please help!

headstrong569
85

I sold my truck without fixing it. I have been told though from a few different people they changed the filter and the fluid in the trans and torque converter and it fixed the problem. Not sure how true it is but thats what I was told worked for them.

vbramlett
10

my husband 1999 dodge ram truck is does not want to shift 1st 2nd or 3rd gears. he is changing the filter. we have noticed that it does it when its cold.

wrightjason
10

I also have a problem that sounds similar. I was driving down the interstate at 65mph truck has had no tranmission problems at all. The RPMs went up truck slowed and came to a stop put it into park. would not go back in to gear. put it in to drive will not move rpms go up but nothing same for all gears. took it in and had them look at the transmission change filters and fluid which look clean but still nothing they wnated me to buy a new transmission for $6800 or a rebuild for $3800. I read on other forums about speed control sensor and I replaced both still nothing. Again I had no indication of a problem with the truck. I need help please any ideas.

wrightjason
10

The truck is and 08 dodge ram 4x2 4.7l automatic bighorn

Chip Hite
0

i have a2006 dodge ram 4x4.i changed the fluid and filters just for routine maintenance and now the truck wont shift if u get into it. under normal driving conditions it performs perfectly. any ideas?