slow/weak acceleration

dep
5

Asked by dep Oct 12, 2010 at 03:05 PM about the 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Plus Quad Cab LB 4WD

Please if you know the answer help me out. My truck doesn't take off like it used too. So I tried manually shifting it and it works but but if I put too much gas it feels like it jump/slips. My worst fear is my transmission is going bad. Just replaced trans oil and plugs but didn't do the trick. Thanks in advance.

Dan Connell
4,375

depending on how many miles it has you may either need to adjust your bands or just get the trans rebuilt, 46re trannys are touchy hopefully you used ATF+4 fluid when you did the fluid change and if you didnt change the trans filter change that too, but from your description it sounds like the friction material on the bands is worn out so either have them adjusted or see what your local transmission shop wants to do the job. P.S. if you do go the route of rebuilding the trans invest in aftermarket bands, torque converter etc... it all lasts a bunch longer than OEM, i have a 2004 ram 3500 diesel, my trans blew up, i replaced the guts with all ATS brand pieces and including the guys price for putting it together only spent 3100 dollars (damn good deal)

dep
5

Thanks Dan, for your respond. I replaced the transmission fluid with ATF4 but didn't know anything about the band adjustment while open. Put it together and didn't fixed anything. Still having hard time to take off on dride so I still manually shifting it. I can tell when driving and need more speed so when I push more gas it feels like sliping now. Do you think the transmission is really going bad? I might have to open it again and adjust the band but don't have a clue what the band or how to adjust it for that matter. Is there a site I can find out what's it looks like and where to find replacement. I have to try to do it my self to save money and learn something. I got screwed before when I thought my my wife suburban transmission was bad but it wasn't the case. So I will try everything first before before taking it to the shop. So if you have anything I can use to help me figure this out that will be awesome. Thnaks again, I will try to find what that bands looks like and what tools I need to or where can I buy it. Thanks again Dan. V/R, Dep

dep
5

same issue here, does it feels like loosing speed/fuel pressure when turning left? I already replaced my trans fluid and didn't do anything. Hope somebody know how to fix this issue. Love my track and I hate to get rid of it.

Derek Johnson
0

Had a similar problem ford f 150 4.6 75,009 miles, looseing power, no pick up speed like trans slippen. Thaught i had bad vaccum hose, spark plugs, egr, mass air flow sensor, replace all, it was my catalic converter, replace all good