power to fuel pump

fuckoff
5

Asked by fuckoff Apr 05, 2012 at 01:25 PM about the 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Quad Cab SB 4WD

How do I test the connection at fuel pump to make sure there is power. I can reach it and discoonect it. Have allready replaced pump but no fuel pressure. New plugs, wires, fuse and relay. Need to know if there is a problem there before I replace the pump again.

Joel Mearns
615

Use a test light with key on to check power if no power there has to be a fuse in system. If not hook power up straight from a battery to check pump. Then to make easy fix make separate power to pump with a toggle switch...

Dan Connell
4,365

test lights are a pain, get a multi meter and use that, much easier to fit into the small connections on the fuel pump plug, check your fuse again, make sure it didnt blow, if it blew then theres high resistance in the circuit some where, signalling either a positive short to ground, or a ground shorting to the power side of the circuit. or at a long shot the pump you have is defective, if its new it prolly has some kinda warranty on it, id try bringing the pump back before i do any thing, with china getting there hands on every thing and building it as cheaply as possible, more and more NEW parts are coming from parts stores defective.

Joel Mearns
615

Or the spoons for the wires...

Mike Tritle
1,695

Don't forget that w/o a tach signal the PCM shuts off the fuel pump in 5 seconds. You'll need an assistant to turn the key on while you hold the meter connections to get a reading.

dndodd21
80

I have the same problem with my 2002 dodge ram 1500 cargo van. I replaced the fuel pump and it wouldn't cut on. Running a wire from my battery to to fuel pump turned the fuel pump on but the van still will not start. Any suggestions