What are some causes of oil pressure loss?

Asked by JeffZ Mar 21, 2012 at 06:20 PM about the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4 Dr SLT Plus 4WD Quad Cab SB

Losing oil pressure but it comes back. Could it be a sensor or is it a bigger problem?

Dan Connell

does the truck have any ticking or other bad engine related noises? it could be just electrical like the gauge failing. depending on how many miles it has, the oil pump could be going but thats unlikely

Mike Tritle

General causes of OP loss would be: Low oil level bad Sender, defective gauge, clogged pump inlet screen, worn bearings, stuck regulator valve in the oil pump, worn out pump, sheared oil pump driveshaft, bad oil filter. Only way to truly determine if oil pressure has dropped is to connect a mechanical gauge to the pressure sensor port and start the engine. God luck!

Best Answer

Thank you for your answers. No there is no ticking or other engine noise. I just did a head gasket replacement and I cleaned everything spotless. You could eat off this engine. Checked oil level I actually think I put in just a little to much. It reads just past the full mark. And there is no obvious leaking under the truck. Thanks again!

Dan Connell

It almost always tends to be the gauge in this scenario, as an actual loss of oil pressure for any amount of time when an engine is up to temperature would cause noticable noise almost immediately not to mention damage. id say set aside a couple dollars, and start looking at jegs, and summit for a set of pillar gauges, get a mechanical oil pressure, a transmission temperature and a coolant temp gauge. youll spend a little but its a good insurance policy to see what your fluids are doing

What to do with to old gauge in the dash after installing the new one. The old one keeps setting of the dash lights.

Robert Pedroza

I have the same problem on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 truck. Also had to do a head gasket job, due to a burst radiator. Right after I had it repaired my oil pressure gauge why idling at a red light would just drop and the check gauges light will turn on. Just stepping on the accelerator would bring gauge back up. Also no engine noises. Returned it back to the mechanic and they replaced the sensor to gauge. But still does it. Is it possible it's a bad gauge, or something related to the head gasket job?? Thanks.

I have the same issue, after a new engine which then overheated which required another head job my warning lights come on and my oil pressure drops at an idle. I have replaced the oil pressure switch. I am considering replacing the oil pump but I don't know for sure if that will fix it. I was wondering if anyone else with this problem has found a solution.

I had a motor put in my truck and now I'm getting similar actions with my 2005 Ram 1500 V6. The gauge doesn't read until I start the truck the second time . Never any problems before this. Any ideas what happening?

I also have an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 318 engine (5.2 litre) So my oil pressure gauge would out of the blue drop to 0 and sometimes it would come back up n other times if I stopped n restarted then it would come back and other times id have to sit for half hour before starting again then it would come back. The fix. Is sludge is getting pulled up the intake tube I to the tube screen n choking it causing no oil pressure. Had to drop the pan and do a thorough cleaning and flushed the entire system and like greasy magic it worked. Now I had my lifters rattling n knocking when my gauge would go to 0 so I knew it wasn't getting oil. So if my symptoms sound like yours then id check the intake line first cuz this is an inherant problem with these Dodges come to find out.

My '02 3500 will drop its guage to 0 four or five times within a mile. It doesn't matter the engine temp or speed traveling. That beep to check guages is really annoying!

My 04 1500 with 4.7 Flex. Would not show pressure and check gauge light on. If restarted it it would be fine. Replace OP sensor and fixed it. However almost exactly 1 year later it started to show low Oil Pressure and light come on at idle. Replace OP sensor and fixed. I guess the after market OP sensors are not as durable. But they are only $15.

Mikey Geniva Adauto

I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 4.7 and it has oil pressure til i stop once i push the gas it stops. I just changed the motor out and it has a new pump. How much oil pressure should it have? And what can i do to stop it? Please and thank you

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2 no oil pressure and have ticking noises

Check the distributor drive shaft and the oil pickup screen.

My oil pump was replaced and I still loose oil pressure. I had to drive 50 miles with no oil pressure but only one lifter is tapping.

My car Ram 1500 is like this When start the car morning it comes message "oil pressure low" After 2 second disappear. Anyone know about this problem????

Bryan League

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8 liter v6 it has had overheating problems since the day I bought it if I'm going down the road everything is fine but when I get stopped in traffic in the summer heat my engine starts to overheat in my oil pressure will drop to the floor tapping the accelerator brings it back up the oil level and color is good someone please help

ImaHacker AndMod

I have a 05 ram 5.7 hemi v8 and my oil pressure will be fine while the engine in cool but after a while it will start to quickly go down and then back up. After a while of that then it drops and doesn't come back up. If it goes down and doesn't come back up I have to stop turn off the truck and turn it back on and its fine untill I start to accelerate then it drops again. What do y'all thinks going on with it?

When water and oil, mix even if it is at a small dosage the oil looses a percentage of viscosity. The Temp of the fluid changes quickly and changes how it lubricates. The more water the less lubrication and so on. when the oil pressure gauge begins to flutter it is also the beginning of the mixing. Have the engine pressure tested for leaks. Good luck

Keith Kitchen III

My truck is having same problem. 02 Ram 1500. I started it up today and hears a tapping, shut it down right away and checked the oil and it was low. Had to add two quarts. Suprised me because just did an oil change 3000 miles ago. It's due for one now. But after I put the oil in and it warmed up. The pressure gauge would drop to zero at idle and come back we I hit the gas. After awhile of driving I lost it completely. Not sure exactly what's wrong. Read all the post. And I don't see it being a sludge issue. Because I just put a used motor in it a year ago and the mechanic said the bottom end of the motor was real clean. I'm curious about getting an aftermarket gauge but have no idea how to install one and don't like paying a garage to do work. Got my own tools and I know a my way around a truck a little bit. Any more knowledge would be helpful.

Aaron Strable

Hey my truck was just rebuilt and it's doing it. Mechanic told me to go have it flushed and oil change tomorrow and I just picked it up today? It already has new oil in it can 30 minutes of driving really clean out some of the oil? Not sure what will happen but cleaning the oil pan screen sounds the best way but not cheap. Tired of dropping money into this truck

Steve Morelock

I have a 95 dodge ram 1500 5.2 with 189,000 miles. When the motor warmed up my oil pressure would drop and oil light would come on. I could hit the accelerator and the pressure would rise momentarily. I simply changed the oil filter to a better quality filter and now my pressure never drops to less than about 38 lbs.

So you're driving along and intermittently the oil pressure gauge drops to 0, right? And then it comes back? And then it drops agin. Over and over all the time, you check the oil and it's fine, not milky and it's at the right level, right? The more you go with it like this it happens more frequently and some times on long trips it doesn't come back, just stays at 0, but may come back... Guys it's more than likely the sending unit. It's located just above the oil filter. It's a bitch to install and I'd just change the oil at the same time since you lose so much doing this repair. It's also a very inexpensive part, like 20-30 bucks. I bought the one from advance auto which has a free lifetime replacement. I've replaced 3, and paid for 1. Truck runs great regardless, just the pinging sound to let me know to check out the oil gauge gets annoying. Tried ignoring it for a while but I learned that's not wise since the sending unit eventually falls apart and leaks then pours out oil, so I'd replace it when it starts doing what I've described so you don't end up without oil and a much bigger problem. You have a few options. 1) spend more money at dodge dealer for the sender and it will still fail, just last a bit longer. 2) buy el cheapo sender at parts store WITH lifetime replacement( you must get the free replacement) since it's gonna fail again within a year. 3) replace the whole thing with a mechanical gauge and sender and never mess with it again, plus you'll truly know what your pressure is.(the electrical doesn't show pressure, it just registers on or off which is why your dash gauge is either in the middle or off) 4) rock old school. Just find a plug at the parts store and plug it up and just keep an eye on oil level when you get gas. However with this fix you better be educated on what sounds mean what since your only gonna be able to check level. I only recommend this if you have a healthy engine and have a more advanced knowledge of engines.

I have the same problem with my 02 dodge ram I replaced the oil pump and strainer also replaced the op sensor and it still drops to 0 when the temperature gauge reaches to the middle and rpm are at 650 on idle any info will be very well appreciated thank you

Joe Vela

I got a 1995 Mazda B2300 and it lost oil pressure and immediately started making a ticking sound.