getting fire from coil but not to plugs

jimmyphillips
40

Asked by jimmyphillips Jun 12, 2013 at 07:05 PM about the 2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4 Dr SLT 4WD Extended Cab SB

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 it died going down the road it is getting fire from the coil to the distributer
but not to the plugs I have already replaced the distributer cap and rotor and still does the same thing
what would cause this

43,335

Is the distributor rotor turning? Is the coil output high enough to get through the distributor rotor/cap air gap?

jimmyphillips
40

Yes the distributer is turning but I dont know if it is getting enough fire how do check that

43,335

The coil on that year should be able to make a bright blue spark at least a half of an inch long. If you are good at it you can have someone crank the engine over while you hold the coil wire from the distributor close to the engine block and watch the color of the spark but be careful, if you don't do it right and the spark uses you as the ground path welll lets just say it will really curl your hair.

jimmyphillips
40

It only sparks about a 1/4 of a inch and its kinda orange and blue

43,335

Sounds a little weak. Do you have another coil?

jimmyphillips
40

No but if you think thats what it is I will get one

43,335

Let's try one more test. now remove the wire from the coil and have someone crank it over, the spark should jump out of the tower and flash to the case of the coil, if it won't do that then yes replace the coil, if it does flash over then the coil wire is bad, Have you ever replaced the ignition wires?

Jimmy Phillips
0

No I have never replaced the ignition wires

43,335

Might be a good idea to do that. Did you do the last test?

Jimmy Phillips
0

Just tryed it and it is not jumping at all

43,335

Yep, replace the coil.

FLDockBuilder
30

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L and replaced spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and still had a miss problem going on when i floored it. I noticed every time it rained it got worse and eventually the engine died out on me all together driving home from work oneday about a block from my house. My neighbor and I got the truck to my drive way where we started checking for spark using the screw driver to frame method while cranking over the engine and had nothing on the spark plug wires coming from the distributor. We then tested using the same method using the ignition coil wire and had a light pink to orange arc. Ran same test at the coil itself to rule out faulty wire with same result. Once I took off the ignition coil it self, I then checked the resistance through the coil using an ohm meter and compared the results to my handy shop manual. The coil was out of tolerance reading through the primary and completely dead through the secondary... I also had a big crack in the bottom of the ignition coil where water and moisture could have been causing my problem when it rained. Once I replaced the coil, the truck fired up immediately. I took the truck around the block flooring it with absolutely no miss at all. I had been having this miss problem for a very long time and learned something through the process. As I pulled the truck in the driveway from my road test, my neighbor says "NOW THATS THE BIGGEST SHIT EATEN GRINN IF I EVER SAW ONE"... Lol... Thought I would pass this info. onto the poor unfortunate fools dealing with the same problem.

OrLackThereof
1,845

Yep....weak coil is pretty common. More common than a distributor failure...cause the coil has to repeatedly ramp up and fire energy so quickly...it's doing a lot of work!

Coonhunter2015
5

I got a 98 Chevy k2500 getting fire from coil but not to my plugs I've changed cam sensor crank sensor coil an distributor but still no spark at plugs any suggestions

43,335

So if your coil has a good bright blue spark but there is no spark at the distributor tower then the coil wire is bad, if there is fire at the tower but not out of the spark plug connectors on the distributor cap then it could be the distributor rotor or a carbon tracked distributor cap, if you have spark out of the plug wire connectors on the cap but not at the plug end, then the plug wires are bad.

Matt Pollock
50

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 it will run but shuts off after a while and will start after a couple hours run again and shut off again but every time it sits a couple hoursit will start back what's wrong

bobolletti
0

would it be the same in a 93 Cherokee Laredo?

Oldgunns
0

Replace your coil

qdog76
0

I have spent a lot money in my 98 3500 5.7 Chevy. From everything new coil, distibutor, crank senor, timing chain, harmonic balancer, margle sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel pump, fuel filter. Truck ran for two weeks and then started spuddering on take off and died out and will not crank now. What I'm getting is not enough spark. To my number one spark plug, it's pinkish blue and not pluges are wet with fuel. Machnic said it not enough fire to all eight of my pluges. Please help with any suggestions.

43,335

Spark should be a brilliant blue not yellow or pinkish, check the spark at the coil itself and if it is the same color replace the coil, if it is a brilliant blue at the coil then check it at the coil wire at the distributor end if it is a brilliant blue there Great, if not replace the coil wire even though it is new it can still go bad, so if you have good spark at that end then check the brilliance out of the distributor cap if it brilliant there then replace the entire spark plug wire set if not replace the cap and rotor with a better set. HTH

dodgebob
0

Had the same problem with my 1988 dodge ,lol