my 99 dodge pickup is not starting the starter is clicking

dickfurze
0

Asked by dickfurze Apr 06, 2012 at 03:42 PM about the 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr ST 4WD Standard Cab LB

Dan Connell
4,365

either your batteries are shot, or the starter is shot

Arch Angel
85

If you hear a clicking noise, it means voltage is getting through to the solenoid. But there may not be enough voltage to spin the starter. So start with the battery and cables. Is the battery at full charge? Are the battery cables clean and tight? Be sure to check both ends. Are the other electrical connections at the solenoid and starter clean and tight? It doesn't take much corrosion to choke off the flow of amps to the starter. Next, check the wiring connections on the solenoid and starter. Are they clean and tight? Also check the solenoid ground connection or its mounting. Rust or corrosion here can interfere with the flow of amps, too. Try bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter spins. If it spins, the problem is excessive resistance in the solenoid. Replace the solenoid. If the starter doesn't spin, or turns very slowly, however, the starter is dragging and needs to be replaced.

aztec626bf
6,505

Yes look to starter or solenoid. Probably contacts inside solenoid.

Joel Mearns
615

Jump start. And tap starter solinoid while starter will confirm fault

Dan Connell
4,365

its pointless to bother checking the starter solenoid, starters on these trucks come as an assembly with the starter and solenoid as a unit, the solenoid isnt replaceable, if the solenoid is bad you have to replace the starter.

Joel Mearns
615

Yer but u can still hit it to see

Dan Connell
4,365

in the novel above he talked about replacing the starter solenoid, thats what i was replying to Joel, sorry for the confusion. also typically you dont hit the actual solenoid, you tap the motor.

Joel Mearns
615

It could be the solinoid not kicking out far enough. Fork getting stuck or clutch in starter pinion siezed. Brushes could be gone or armiture poles arcing out to brushes and sticking that way. Pull the ass out of it smell like burnt plastic... could also be windings in armiture stature!!!

Joey Johnson
35

crank shaft senser

Mike Tritle
1,695

If starter isn't turning then engine over it is not the crank sensor. You can remove the starter and take it to Auto Zone or Advance and they can bench test for you. Do this only after you test for battery voltage. You could also take the battery there for testing as well.

Chris McGee
2,755

More than likely it is either a bad connection on the starter, bad battery aka (A Dead Cell) or just the positive or negative terminals are corroded horribly not making good contact. And yes bench test best way to know for sure if starter is indeed ok.

Tha Brock
0

I had this issue. I replaced the battery terminals with new and trimmed back the cables. Starts perfect!!!!!