my truck engine does not heat up. stays in the cold temp reading area

rrhodes
0

Asked by rrhodes Apr 19, 2013 at 01:37 PM about the 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr LT 4WD Standard Cab SB

My 97 dodge Ram starts and runs well, but recently will no longer warm up to normal temp range.  Fluids were low, but I filled them.  Both lines to the heater core heat up and no leaks can be found.  Should I flush the heater core, or just replace the thermostat?

45,715

It sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Does it heat up when parked and cool down when on the highway?

14,195

second that.

rrhodes
0

It will only heat when parked and the engine reved for several minutes. The temp gauge drops a little when the heat is turned on, but it goes all the way cold when driving... even with the extra burden of the AC unit running on max. I thought it was the thermostat as well, but someone told me to check for a clogged heater core first. I really have no intention of replacing the heater core on my own with all the work involved with just getting at it. Thank you both for the insight.

45,715

If the heater core was clogged, the hoses would be cool or cold. You would have less heat coming out of the ducts. It wouldn't effect the temperature gauge on the dash.