rebuilt the motor. would the camshaft actuator locking pin adjustment be the reason for the low or no compression (which is the original problem for a rebuild). what else would you suggest we look at, assuming valves and rings are good.

oregonhank
5

Asked by oregonhank Jul 01, 2012 at 12:19 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4 Dr STD Sedan

17,535

Do one of those blow by/compression tests you hook up a compressor to a fitting that goes into ur spark plug holes and with the cylinder at TDC and the air hose hooked up you can hear where the air escapes. (Are the valves adjustable?) If not try that test

oregonhank
5

will try this. If it works ... love ya. if not, I will ask for more info. :)

17,535

Yea if you have no or very little compression you will deff hear it. BTW I'm not real familiar with that engine but the actuator pin.... does it connect the cam to cam gear there are so many reasons for no compression after a rebuild. Pull the valve cover and see if the rockers are moving. (OHC see if the cam is turning) is the mechanical timing right. There's Soo many possibilities