I cant shift into 4wheel drive at all on 96 dodge 1500

Nathan Ellsworth
25

Asked by Nathan Feb 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM about the 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr ST 4WD Extended Cab LB

I just bought a 96 dodge ram 1500 with 123,000 miles on it, it wont shift into 4
wheel drive. I put truck in neutral and the floor shifter wont move at all. Is there
anything i can do to lube it or check to see whats wrong without going to a
mechanic??

Nick Bobb
395

it sounds like the linkage for the transfer case is seized. try lubricating it with a penetrating oil like pb blaster, and trying to then move it, if it doesnt free up then youll need a new shift linkage

canalbreath
405

Do you mean 4 high ,4 low or both. To shift into 4 high your transmission should be in drive (D) under 55 mph. 4 low is when you should be stopped with the transmission in neutral(N).

canalbreath
405

Sorry forgot to add that Nick answer could be right as well , but whatever it is, you should never have to force it as hard as you can. So don't try that.

Nathan Ellsworth
25

i havent tried it while in drive and where do i lubricate it? I will try moving to 4 high while in drive. thanks

Nick Bobb
395

get under your truck and coming through the cab floor and attaching to the transfercase will be your shift linkage

Nathan Ellsworth
25

alright, i tried it in drive and same result, i will check under the truck. thanks fellas

canalbreath
405

Yeah sorry it wasn't that easy !!! There could be a branch or anything jammed in the linkage keeping it from moving freely and or something hit it and bent it. I've never seen linkage corroded solid but i suppose if it were never used that could very well happen.