how do i reset my theft .system in my 2001 malibu?

chester77
0

Asked by chester77 Apr 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS

i changed the stereo. when i tried nstarting it, it wont start. theft system light stays on. i tried the 10 minute waiting game about 10 different times. no luck!!! help???

14,885

You did it 3 times in a row waiting ten minutes for the light to go of each time?

chester77
0

Probably like 10 times. This sucks

15,975

If the car won't start it's because the security system thinks it was broken into and the stereo was stolen. If that's the case the dealer may have to over ride the security system. If you replaced the stereo with another GM unit it's locked and won't play until you get the code from the dealer. I believe you'll need the replacement stereo's serial number. HTH. -Jim

14,885

And after the light goes out you shut the key off and then try to restart and nothing? Have you checked fuses? I have seen plenty of stereo installs that pinch wires and pop fuses.

Joe Bartlett
305

you dont need serial # from the dealer , the dealer get a number from the radio,place a call then they will unlock the radio

14,885

Joe #1 how does the dealer unlock the radio and #2 the radio isn't the issue, the car not starting is the issue. Highly doubtful that they installed a factory radio.

15,975

I would also guess the dealer would require proof of ownership of the vehicle. Another thing that came to mind is it is possible that certain features are controlled by the radio. On Impalas from that time period, like my 2002 Impala, the oil life system was reset through the radio. The automatic door lock/unlock feature was controlled through the radio. As was interior light dimming. I was able to set my personal preferences by going to the "menu" that appeared on the radio display. My Niece's '05 Impala is the same way. Perhaps your Malibu is like that and, coupled with the security system, you have accidentally activated an engine immobilizer anti-theft feature. I'd contact either your local Chevrolet Dealer or Chevrolet Customer Service before I did anything else. HTH. -Jim