Engine cranks but will not fire

ogmopop
10

Asked by ogmopop Aug 09, 2010 at 02:00 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT Standard Cab LB

Bought this 94 ram 1500 with 318  ,had been sitting for 5 years,with new battery, cranks great but will not fire, can't hear fuel pump, no spark at coil, can make fuel pump run bypassing relay. All fuses in fuse box by dash OK NOW WHAT??? I have a Dodge service manual

Dan Connell
4,375

in the under the hood fuse bank theres a fuel pump relay, on the bottom of the coil theres a plug unplug it and check for 12 volts, if you have 12 volts get a new coil.

ogmopop
10

CHANGED FUEL PUMP RELAY AND CHECKED VOLTAGE AT BOTTOM OF COIL CONNECTOR ,DO NOT HAVE 12 VOLTS, I still can bypass the fuel relay and hear the pump run

Dan Connell
4,375

well that save you having to buy a new fuel pump atleast, ive never run into not having 12 volts at that connection, if memory serves me right it should get 12 volts with the key on because that completes the circuit, if you had the key on and it doesnt read 12 volts its some thing in the ignition system of the truck, i never had the issue so im kinda just shooting in the dark with it, in that big bank of fuses and relays under the hood check every thing out make sure nothings blown

ogmopop
10

I picked up a decoder at auto parts store, plugged in and reads COULD NOT READ CODES ,NOT ENOUGH INFO AVAILABLE, Also the check engine light on the dash does not illuminate with key on [or at all] All lights work,radio & heater work, very puzzling, Will try to trace electrical using service manual, I f you think of anything e-mail me ,thanks MOPOP

carlgotadodge
30

If theres no CEL when you turn it on usaully means the fuse for the power socket is blown it runs on the same circuit.