why is the blazer not shifting into 4-wheel drive?

anderson970
0

Asked by anderson970 Nov 28, 2006 at 05:08 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

When the button on the Blazer is switched from, 2-wheel drive to      4-wheel, the transfer case is not shifting. why?  Do u thiunk it is the switch, in the Transfer Case its self, or something else could be causing it?

11,385

It could be any of these. I found a forum for you that walks somebody through diagnosing it. Hopefully this will help! http://www.carjunky.com/messageboard/data/1099.html

crazzy450r
515

old body s-10 almost allwaya a bad switch or pluged vacc.line

Bobby Krueger
45

It depends... are you letting off the gas when you shift into 4-wheel? Because thats the problem I've always had... I forget to let off the gas.

Ed Rose
215

There is a vacuum line that runs from underneath the blazer that likes to come undone. It has happened to me, if that is the problem you just need to trace it back to under the hood and rehook the vacuum line

papa

sounds like a bad acuwater,locaded under battery tray,is a round plunger like deal has a rubber diaphram.replace this your 4x4 should work 40 bucks at chevy dealer.

Cody Doud
205

this propblem can be caused by 1 the encoder motor/transfercase motor 2 the transfercase switch 3 vaccum actuator under battery tray 4 broken cable from actuator to front diff. now we know the possible problems lets check them individualy fist the encoder motor when your in nutral and press the 4hi button does it flash and just never go in? can you hear an electric motor? after you press 4hi get undernieth the blazer and check if you can turn the front drive shaft by hand? in not this is a good thing and means your transfercase is locked in four wheel drive. if you can turn the drive shaft by hand i would replace the encodermotor (any where from 130$-150$ at a parts store and you do the work your self second is testing the vaccum lines after your transfer case is locked there is one line going from the back of the plenium to the switch on top of the transfercase when the engine is running it should have vaccum when you put it in 4hi it switches the switch and provides vaccum to the front actuator under the batery tray (this is the hose i think one of the privious posters talked about) make sure there is vaccum to the hose when in four wheel drive and if there is no vaccum i would replace the vaccum switch (10$-20$ at parts store and you do the work your self) if there is vaccum then you need to test the actuator it self you should be able to see it move when 4wheel drive is turnd on and off if it dont move the diphram could be tore and if it does move then very very very unliky your cable from the actuator to the front differntial is broken and i dont know what would be wrong hope this helps let us know when/if you fix it *the picture is of the actuator under the tray

Andrew Trufant
45

rock it back and forth in drive and reverse and the light should go out.

Josh Betz
45

under the baterry ( you also have to remove the battery box) there is a vaccum pod which shifts the transfer case from 2 wheel to 4 wheel check to see if its bad

JOEBOPAR
80

I just fixed this problem on my 2000 blazer. It was the 4 wheel drive solinoid Napa part # 600-2296. I didn't buy it at Napa. I found one in the Salvage yard for $15.00. My was located in the middle of the firewall. It actuates the actuator under the battery. I found this problem by reading the posts on this site. Saved me a lot of money and I appreciate it. THANKS

Steven Howard
20

In some cases UT would be the vacuum actuator located on top of the transfer case, it could be a 3 prong or a 2 prong that has vaccine lines going to it, it gets clogged and won't engage