what would cause a 2001 cavalier to bog down while driving and have a rough idle

Jason Bender
0

Asked by Jason Apr 09, 2012 at 05:24 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

ive replaced the plug and wires, tps, fuel regulator sen, the fuel pump and filter and the coil packs are
putting out tons of spark some one please help im completely confused

aztec626bf
6,505

One thing to look at would be catalytic converter. If this is getting plugged you will notice loss of power worse fuel mileage and the exhaust will sound different. With a rough idle one thing to look at is EGR valve. One good diagnostic tool that works is a vacuum gauge. Hook the gauge up to manifold vacuum. You should see 17-21 In. Hg. on the gauge at idle and the needle should be steady. If you have anything other than this repost with what you have on vacuum gauge and I can tell you where to look next. A vacuum test is the best general engine condition check there is and it is the least expensive.

Andy Augustin
35

It maybe just your tranny, they tend to idle high and be rough, thats how they are I would guess the tranny.