1999 4.3 misfiring

gmoncrief
0

Asked by gmoncrief Jan 05, 2009 at 12:22 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet S-10 2 Dr STD Standard Cab LB

I'm running out of ideas on a problem with my 99 S10 4.3
The truck will start and idle fine however as soon as you feed a little gas it starts to miss.
Giving it even more gas is either covering up the misfire or it is clearing and seeems to run better.
I've just replaced cap/rotor wires and plugs.
The problem seems to get worse whenever it gets even slightly wet/humid.
I had Cragen hookup a analyzer and it gave a "random misfire" error code.

Does anyone have an idea of where to look?
Thanks Greg
gmoncrief@hotmail.com

Michael McGrail
4,995

I would look at replacing your coil, moisture will commonly mess them up if they have a crack in them. If the coil is going out, the more you require from it, the more the engine will miss. It would create the code given. That would be my best educated guess from the information you gave.

Danny Wang
2,365

Just as a possibility I may also suggest trying a MAF cleanner, it should be about $8 a can. If it improve significantly, then I recommend replacing the MAF. Even though the frequency could be operating within specification, if it does not change as quickly as load on the engine changes, the engine may not be able to fire at the right time.

Jeremy Prchlik
25

your problem is a bad throttle position sensor, i had the exact sme problem, changed everything out but that sensor and it finally stopped doin that once i replaced the TPS. same exact conditions, whebn it got humid or after a rain it ran like shit lol

chevyfan88
0

I have this same problem with my 99 s10 4.3. the code reader says miss fire cylinder #2... so I replaced wires, plugs, distributer cap and rotor. after 2 days this problem got worse. again I read the codes and it read the same code, cylinder #2. good old GM I guess