Can I remove the rear axle for more fuel effiency ?

sophia664
75

Asked by sophia664 Mar 08, 2013 at 04:11 PM about the 1997 Honda CR-V LX AWD

45,915

I believe you mean the rear drive shaft. I don't think that you can because the transfer case might send all the power to the rear since there is no resistance.

sophia664
75

But since it is an AWD isn't the power equally divided between the front and the rear? It would run but not that that powerfull ? Thanks

68,805

It's basically a FWD vehicle till wheel slippage is detected and power or traction is sent to the rear wheels. It uses Hydraulics, ABS system and the computer to calculate all of this. But like tenspeed said, you don't want to compromise the system and your safety by removing the driveshaft just for maybe 1 more MPG. Drive the speed limit, easy on the gas and brakes and keep your tires inflated, and you'll save some money at the pump.

Travis Boucher
125

I have been without my rear drive shaft now for most of the winter. Due to breaking the center carrier bearing. Yes there has been a emprovment in mileage per tank load. But not having AWD in the winter sucks. Now getting stuck is much easier. Can't wait to get my AWD back.

mrmoony
1,920

If you want fuel economy and a two wheel drive get a different vehicle. Problem solved.

sophia664
75

Well here in souh america we dont have winter so that would not hurt . On the other side I just dont want to compromise the system and safety so I better leave it like that. I was just curious....... Thanks guys