My 2002 Trailblazer LTZ is getting coolant in the oil. What causes this?

Stephanie3131
60

Asked by Stephanie3131 Mar 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD

DavidH25

Head gasket blown, less likely cracked head or block

Stephanie3131
60

Just changed the oil yesterday never started it up and looked this morning and it was milky. I started it and sounded bad for a minute and then drove fine.

Stephanie3131
60

I just drove it to the shop a mile from the house, is it a costly fix?

DavidH25

Unfortunately, yes. Expensive. It will dirve OK until it overheats, but do not drive it anywhere else, to prevent further damage from improper lubrication in the rest of the engine. Sorry to bear bad news. $1500 minimum

DavidH25

Wait, hold on...you changed the oil but never started it? Did you put the oil in the right place????

Stephanie3131
60

Yes. Lol . It ran hot one day so we checked the antifreeze and notices it was empty! So we added antifreeze and checked it the next day and it was empty again. Never drove it again after it ran hot. Checked the oil and that where we found our antifreeze. So we changed the oil and it went there again. Today is the first day I drove it since it got hot and we noticed the problem last week.

DavidH25

I didn't mean to insult you Stephanie. But it has been known to happen. So back to my first answer.

Stephanie3131
60

No insult taken. I've been known to do some silly things. I let a man do anything under a hood bc I could prolly do something like that.

Stephanie3131
60

Could it be a cracked Cylinder?

Michael McGrail
5,945

Sounds like a blown head gasket or intake gasket. Since you have water in the oil, it is not safe to drive. You will cause further engine damage by driving it. Very unlikely it is a cracked head or block causing the issue. It is an expensive job to pay to have done, and quite difficult to do on your own as certain specs (torque yields, etc) are needed as well as several specialty tools.

Stephanie3131
60

Today I drove it a mile to shop. Just kinda curious as to what it could be. Truck still drives fine though.

DavidH25

Sorry, the battery in my wireless mouse went dead and had to search around for a battery. Anyway, Michael is right, a cracked cylinder is remotely possible, and cracked head and/or block also, unless you drove it overheated for a long period, which it seems you did not. As I said, that coolant in the crankcase will render the oil almost useless. Sure, it will drive fine, but not for long.

DavidH25

Be prepared to spend some money. again, sorry to be the bearer of that

Stephanie3131
60

I guess I will no the fate of this tomorrow.