4wd not engaging front wheels

Asked by markmaki Jul 27, 2007 at 02:57 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Tracker LT 4WD

The front wheels will not engage and the light will not come on the dash when I shift into 4wd.  What is the usual problem?

Hi markmaki, If your Tracker shifts into 4wd electronically, you may have a blown fuse or bad switch. If it's shifted into 4wd by a shift lever your linkage may have come apart. Either mechanism could fail shifting into 4wd if the front differential is not working properly. You could have low lubricant levels or a stripped gear thus not allowing the differential to engage. Good luck!

Actualy this answer is all wrong, but thanks any way. I found the problem is a small air compressor mounted behind the license plate which is broken and not running right. It is called the actuator pump and it blows air into the front drive shaft to lock the wheels into the gears. It is a very small part and costs $325 from the dealer and installs in minutes.

The front diff is also a known issue. There are a series if diaphrams that hold the pressure from the air pump. This can be tested by disconnecting the pump and using a compressor in its place. If the pressure holds, the diff is ok. If it fluctuated, the diaphram is shot. Because of it being a known problem, you can get dealer rebuilds (12 months/12,000 mile warranty) for about the same price as rebuilding the existing diff. I went through all this last spring. I had to replace the pump and diff on my 99 Tracker

Paul Davis

Even though the front hub are auto-locking,,, it takes a partial to full rotation of the tires them selves to be able to enage the drive system from the transfer case/or transmission.

Its usually the actuator. I will rebuild your actuator or sell you a rebuilt one 1/4 the price of new. But first lets determine if its the problem. troyobe88@gmail.com

Dennis Perkins

I have the same issue. 4WD light flashes, front wheels engage but disengage almost immediately. HERE'S THE KICKER, 4WD works in reverse?!? but the light still flashes. WTH?

Sounds like your Actuator Pump is bad, that is generally easy to determine from the light blinking. It is likely the actuator will fix your problem. Going in reverse may take slight pressure off the slider within the differential and allow the failing pump to develop slightly more pressure to grab 4WD temporarily. Also now the rear wheels are pulling. At is core your pump can't develop enough pressure to move the diaphragm slider within the diff. Contact me directly via Troyobe88@gmail.com if you want me to test and/or rebuild it for you. Also, for ALL READERS, make sure your tires are all the same regarding wear. That can cause engage and disengage issues but not likely the issue here. .

You think this is helpful.

If you need additional and extensive guidance on testing the Actuator Air Pump, Actuator, pictures, refurbished and new pumps, please visit my website ActuatorPumpRepair.Com. Also, please keep CarGurus in mind for future car questions