4wd not engaging front wheels

markmaki
135

Asked by markmaki Jul 27, 2007 at 02:57 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Tracker LT 4WD

The front wheels will not engage and the light will not come on the dash when I shift into 4wd.  What is the usual problem?

dvigano
8,695

Hi markmaki, If your Tracker shifts into 4wd electronically, you may have a blown fuse or bad switch. If it's shifted into 4wd by a shift lever your linkage may have come apart. Either mechanism could fail shifting into 4wd if the front differential is not working properly. You could have low lubricant levels or a stripped gear thus not allowing the differential to engage. Good luck!

markmaki
135

Actualy this answer is all wrong, but thanks any way. I found the problem is a small air compressor mounted behind the license plate which is broken and not running right. It is called the actuator pump and it blows air into the front drive shaft to lock the wheels into the gears. It is a very small part and costs $325 from the dealer and installs in minutes.

ontheroxx
20

The front diff is also a known issue. There are a series if diaphrams that hold the pressure from the air pump. This can be tested by disconnecting the pump and using a compressor in its place. If the pressure holds, the diff is ok. If it fluctuated, the diaphram is shot. Because of it being a known problem, you can get dealer rebuilds (12 months/12,000 mile warranty) for about the same price as rebuilding the existing diff. I went through all this last spring. I had to replace the pump and diff on my 99 Tracker

Paul Davis
55

Even though the front hub are auto-locking,,, it takes a partial to full rotation of the tires them selves to be able to enage the drive system from the transfer case/or transmission.

actuatorfix
0

Its usually the actuator. I will rebuild your actuator or sell you a rebuilt one 1/4 the price of new. But first lets determine if its the problem. troyobe88@gmail.com