Is it one or more fuses, the computer, or something else in 2002 Chevy Impala?

JoAnn Phillips

Asked by JoAnn Jul 06, 2013 at 07:23 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS

All of a sudden, the Security light came on my 2002 Chevy Impala.  The manual says it's the pass lock system or possibly a fuse.  I'm thinking it may be more than one fuse, because I'm seeing the following problems at the exact time:  1) fog lights don't work, 2) headlights no longer come on automatically, 3) remote keyless entry no longer works - have to lock and unlock the car with the key - replaced the battery in the remote to no avail.  The car starts just fine.  I noticed in other posts people couldn't get the car to start, so this is not my problem with the Security light.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing these simultaneous problems?  Thanks!

Look for a fuse labeled BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM controls all the features you've mentioned. I'd start there first. Also, go into the "menu" on the radio. I hope you didn't put in an aftermarket radio. See if you can set up your personal settings such as lights and alarm system settings. If you can, that's where it is done. Through the radio. HTH. -Jim

JoAnn did you ever find out the problem on your 2002 Impala. I had the same thing happen today. I haven't yet checked the BCM fuse, but checked all other fuses, will check it tomorrow.

We're is bc diesel on 2002 impala

I had this issue on my 2002 chevy impala. It wouldn't start and the security light would come on. After a lot of inspection, it turned out to be the passlock module's connection to the ignition. The passlock module is a 2" x 0.5" x 0.5" black rectangular block attached to the side of the ignition. The wires from that module went into the ignition and those connection were corroded due to dis-similar metals on the pins, i.e. gold plated on one and tin on the other. I disconnected these wires and used electric cleaner on the leads and a straight wire brush. I then coated the connection in die-electric grease and never had the problem again.