2002 chevy impala fans will come on for 10 seconds intermittantly, do not come on when ac turned on. will run at high speed when ECT disconnected. what could be problem. PCM and BCM tested good.

kereynol
30

Asked by kereynol Dec 16, 2012 at 03:44 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala Base

I have a 2002 impala 3.4l engine which the cooling fans come on for 10 seconds intermittantly. When ECT removed both fans come on high speed, replaced ECT, all 3 fan relays, and fan assy. PCM and BCM tested good. Fans do not come on when A?C turned on either. What could be wrong?

12,835

A/c switch controls the fans, I believe its the high side switch, does your a/c work? Could also be the wiring itself.

kereynol
30

I have checked a/c and the compressor is coming on, air is cooler on passenger side but still not as cool as I would expect, suspect this is because of fan issue or possibly ac control issue. Need to fix fans first as no ac this time of year does not bother me. Fuel delivery seems incorrect also as loud ticking sound in intake area. believe this to be part off fan issue. Going to purchase ECT from Dealer to see if problem corrected as everything else seemsa to depend on signal from here to work. Next step will be taking car to dealer. really don't want to do that.

TARGET2112
0

I TOO AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY CAR.I WAS TOLD THAT IT COULD BE THE VIRIABLE FAN CONTROL OR THE COOLING FAN MOTOR BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO DO.I WONDER IF THE CONTROL MODUEL IS INSTALLED IN THE COLLING FAN MOTOR DUE TO ITS EXESIVE SIZE AND THE RADIATOR MOTOR IS SMALLER. CHECKED THE RELAYS AND IF I TAKE ONE OFF WHILE THE FANS ARE ON THEY SHUT OFF SO I ASSUME THAT THEY ARE WORKING