What causes an 02 Cavalier trac off light to show up on the dashboard? The car also does not shift right.

Jennifer Mod
50

Asked by Jennifer Sep 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

2002 Chevy Cavalier problems with the trac off light on and the car is not shifting right.

Fordtudor37
4,245

Have the codes read on the car OBD II connection and see what codes show up.

17,585

Is it sucking down more gas also? I saw you write on a previous post I was on.

Jennifer Mod
50

I asked my mom if the gas has changed. I told her to take it in to Auto Zone for them to run a diagnostic on the car. Would someone there be able to adjust/fix the problem?

17,585

No just sell parts and pull codes. I pulled a starter off my 86 full-size pickup and took it in to an AutoZone that said the replacement was in stock. Walked in set the starter on the desk and two of the employees had no idea what it was. After explaining it was a starter they pulled the one I needed, they had no idea what the starter shims in the box were either. If you can use a cash register then you qualify as an employee for AutoZone...

Jennifer Mod
50

LOL thats funny. She took it to Auto Zone and they told her it was the throttle sensor. So now we need to find an inexpensive way to replace it.....

Jennifer Mod
50

John, Auto Zone said it is the throttle sensor. Do you know why the brake light would be coming on now?

17,585

Abs light on also? If not check the brake fluid and the parking brake lever, if the abs light is on then it's an abs issue and the brake light is on saying there is a code to be read

17,585

Just Google "throttle position sensor replacement cavalier", mid 1990s all the way up to 2002 are identical for the cavalier and sunfire

Jennifer Mod
50

Hi John. How much should brakes cost for a cavalier? I'm trying to find an independent mechanic to do the work. Do you know any mechanics around Ann Arbor, MI?

17,585

No I don't. Disc brakes are quite simple and watching a few tutorial videos would probably enable you to do them yourself. You would need a jack, tire iron to remove the lugs, a hammer, a long flat head screw driver and a basic set of wrenches once the tire is off you set the caliper all the way in with the screw driver, pull the two bolts that hold the caliper, the rotor should slide off, and the pads should fall out, sometimes a few hammer taps are necessary on the rotor and the pads sometimes give a fight coming out but generally on these it isn't bad. With how popular Cavaliers are you could probably easily find a tutorial for your car on YouTube or ehow.com