why will my truck not start

cwalla
20

Asked by cwalla Mar 23, 2013 at 04:02 AM about the 1995 Ford F-150 XLT SB

I have a good battery, i have a solid connection with my starter solenoid (click, click) when i turn the key. i just changed my ignition switch, and my ignition key cylinder ( they needed to be changed anyway). my fuses are good. my battery terminals are clean and cables have a good, tight connection...... when i turn the key, all i hear is the click from the solenoid connection. the engine does not turn over.... nothing but a click.

judge_roy

yes it clicks, but isn't able to pull 20 amps. Your 1/0 battery cables must have enough surface area to pull 20 amps or more. One overlooked necessity is to examine the connection from the battery to the chassis ground. pull the bolt out scrub with a wirebrush and do the connection 1/0 battery cable to frame to block....these all have to be comfortable with 20 amps...otherwise you'll only get a click and nothing. Also batteries lose their ability to keep a charge ten percent per year, so check the date on the battery, if it's ten years old, replace it with a reputable one, like interstate batteries! batteries will corrode three weeks after installation will have acid fumes and start to deteriorate everything nearby within a couple of weeks~ easy to overlook this fact, tho may seem okay is a weak sister when comes time to pull amps thru there-

judge_roy

Sadly, your motor could be locked up. put a wrench on the main bolt and see if it will turn for you. Running it out of oil, or overheating it could have precipitated this condition...had a buddy, bought a nifty clean mistubishi truck, only it woudn't start. after chasin across town for a new starter found the motor to be completely locked up....oh well take the loss, live and learn.

51,065

"all i hear is the click from the solenoid connection. the engine does not turn over." --- sounds like a bad starter motor to me. I don't know where the Judge thinks it takes 20 amps to power a starter. It's closer to 900 amps when it's spinning under load. Clean those battery connections and coat the fresh shiny surfaces with dielectric grease.

judge_roy

900 amps tenspeed, you've got welding on your mind CCA? wires, what get a little melted...a bit? not sure the cold cranking amps are set in stone these days anymore...maybe with a big ole diesel that has two batteries? what the hell do I know squat in an Indian position cross my legs, meditate......heal...heal...television seyet~

Andrew Stables
45

Could just be that your starter solenoid has jammed. Put it in 2nd rock it back/forward couple of times, ignition off, see if it freezes it off or you could try tapping starter motor with a hammer then try and see if it starts.

51,065

That high amperage does not last long. When that solenoid hits home and closes the contacts, electrically it sees a direct short circuit to ground. Maximum current flows, electromagnetic lines of flux form and the rotor spins due to opposites opposing. When the motor spins, counter electromotive force (CEMF) forms and limits the amperage through the windings. CEMF drops the current down to 96% of the starting current. That why motor fuses are slo-blow and motor starters have heaters that take time to trip for overload protection. - That's all basic DC motor information.

judge_roy

correction mr tenspeed, I was talkin 'bout the wires, the need for good ground that could handle 20 amps....suggesting that they ought to handle 300 amps? I'll change course cap'n~

cwalla
20

my battery is from may of 2012. it is fairly new. it has a full charge. and everything is clean. terminals and cables. just made a new set of cables. it is a wet battery and the water lever is okay.

judge_roy

yay. let's roll!

Michael Tutty
4,475

1st, double check the connections since you just made the wires. If you used the bolt on battery terminal ends, you are just waiting for a problem, since the copper will corrode as it is exposed to air. I always use pre-made 1 gauge cables. All 3 come to about $50, and that includes the solenoid to starter cable. Double check your ground, too. On these Fords, there is a ground strap that connects the body to the engine, and then the engine is grounded to the battery. If that ground strap is weak, and it is tucked in between the block and fire wall, you will have some things that work just fine, but others that do not. Don't forget, too, that the solenoid MUST have a good ground in order to close the circuit. If the cables and battery are good, then the next step is likely your starter motor. The motors are not expensive. A rebuilt with a 5 year warranty is about $100. Brand new with a lifetime warranty, about $150. They take all of about 20 minutes to change, too. The single bolt that holds the cable from the solenoid, and the 2 retaining bolts that hold it to the engine flange. When you reinstall the starter, be sure to use Lock Tite on the bolts. They have a nasty habit of working loose and then you can destroy the flywheel ring gear, which is not fun in the least.

OJ
4,040

Also check the ten buck relay bolted on the firewall next to the battery. You can jump it for a quick second. It the engine cranks properly, then the relay is shot.

judge_roy

....after half a year we still do not know. cwalla---was the motor locked up?....was it too embarrassing to report?....or problem went away....so it's NO problem anymore?

edupuis001
15

Thanks Andrew..i used your advice and rocked my truck and it started...is it because its so cold? i had replaced the starter 2 years ago and i have to do it every morning..so what do you think?

judge_roy

....yes get a NEW battery now and refresh the ground connection from battery cable to chassis....with a wirebrush~ starter problems WILL go away~

cheever
0

Is this a common problem problem with ford f150. It always started. Now it was 0 out today and it won't start . Gonna try the reverse/ forward method tonight.

Andrew Stables
45

Starter motors do tend to fail worse in cold weather. sounds like its on its way out so would recommend getting it replaced again.

Adam Flatoff
50

K

Adam Flatoff
50

95 FORD F150 JUST CLICKS AND HAS A BRAND NEW BATTERY?

paul4ut
95

1995 Ford F150 4.9 inline 6 with manual trans I have installed new starter, new starter solenoid, new battery cables, new ignition switch, and I checked the battery ground. The truck just clicks at start up.

paul4ut
95

Oh, and the battery 2 years old, was checked at NAPA and Sears Automotive. Both places confirmed that the batter had no bad cells and performed as advertised.