My key broke off in the switch, how do I remove broken piece out

Rhonda Premo-barron
0

Asked by Rhonda May 17, 2014 at 06:05 PM about the 1994 Ford F-150 XLT 4WD Extended Cab SB

rogerhtc28
325

with a magnet maybe?

34,205

Good thought rogerhtc28...but most keys are either stainless steel or brass these days...Not that I have a better answer----except if you can run a small wood/sheet metal screw in beside the broken-off part..gently..and extract all at once. I only answer that b/c I had a locksmith do that on a truck I had

rogerhtc28
325

i tried, I recaledl a magnet getting stuck to my car keys in the past.

12,515

Turn the ignition to the "RUN" position and push the release button through the hole on the steering column cover and remove the cylinder. With the cylinder out, return it to the "OFF" position and rap it a couple of times on a table or block of wood. The key piece should fall right out. Take the replacement key, turn the cylinder to the "RUN" position, reinstall it and turn it to the "OFF" position to lock it in place.

OJ
6,770

Tracy's got the trick. If that doesn't work, try some wd 40 then turn the switch upside down and tap. I got one out with the wd 40 method, but I had to use a vacuum cleaner with the narrow corner attachment to suck the thing out while holding it upside down