Check engine light comes on when accelerating

Paul Yevcak
85

Asked by Paul Jun 25, 2008 at 08:37 PM about the 1990 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat Extended Cab SB

In my 90 f150 when I accelerate the check engine light comes on. when I ease off the acc. the light turns off. any Ideas?

Mo Aal
20

you might need to replace the oxygen sensor!

papa

i would change the throttle position sensor,the oxygen sensor would keep yhe check engine light on,you also might consider having a scan done.

dvigano
10,575

Take it your local parts store. They can usually scan the computer for trouble codes for FREE! This should at least give you a starting point for figuring out your problem.

Steve Doucette
45

When my T'Bird did it, it was the MAF sensor (Mass air flow)

Michael McGrail
6,495

Malfunctioning sensors would keep the light on even after decelerating. Something is not right. I would look at things like oil pressure, fuel pressure, cylinder pressure, timing, etc. Things the sensors read. I would have the code read at a local auto parts store. Most do it for free. Then look at towards the cause and not neccesarily the sensors. Hope this helps

Robert James
105

well with ford unless the engine is running like a bag of shit i wouldnt wrry about it ive had plenty of fords and we just end up getting the spray can out hahah

Sheldon Mays
15

well when the check engine light comes on while the car is running and not when its supposed to when you start it, then u probably want to check the engine... =)

Paul Yevcak
85

I found out that the EGR valve sensor was bad, and that has taken care of some problems, but the light still comes on.

Darren Bottle
45

its nothing that serious.. ive seen alot of these fords running around with engine lights on...alot of guys just stick a piece of paper over the light lol. but if your really concerned about it get the code and tell us it...we can give u an idea where to start looking for the problem

Robert James
105

dont wrry about it unless its runs bad

Andy Chase
55

My 93 does it when I speed off the line, I've always thought of it coming on because I was getting up there in RPM's. It will come on if you reach the governed speed (of 91mph I believe), not that I know from experience or anything!!

Chris Martorella
95

Since you have an older Ford I wonder if your Catalytic converter is going or is bad, but im not sure if ur O2 sensor is before the cat, after it or both.

Jim Griffin
0

Did you ever solve the problem? If so, What was it I'm having that problem

pyrolion
60

If a sensor was bad light would stay on! Does th check engine light blink on and off when you are turning ignition? Check for plug fouling or bad plug wire,dist cap,rotor!!! Plug fouling will make your light come on when accelerating and go off when you let up! Have your codes read, most shops will do this for no charge, remember they want your business......