What effect would a broken engine crankcase vent hose have on a 2003 ford f-350

USMC4life
5

Asked by USMC4life Jul 07, 2013 at 10:12 PM about the 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4 Dr Lariat 4WD Crew Cab LB

Hose is soft, flexible, and cracking( dry rotting) and the end that goes into the intake manifold is lose and comes out easily. The o ring on the same end is considerably warn. trying to get the part from Ford. Just wanna make sure that this is my only problem.

30,955

Vacuum leak for sure. Improper air fuel mixture possibly.

USMC4life
5

Ok. But what effect would this have on my engine. I have had many things start o fail/go bad on me recently. Trying to make sure this is it.

30,955

It would probably only cause it to not run properly. Things like rough idle or poor fuel economy.

USMC4life
5

...... truk runs good at start up. give it gas and it pours out black smoke and I get if I'm lucky 1200 rms.

7jimmy7
9,395

no vent lots of sludge build up, assuming your talking of the pcv hose with vacuum pull thrue! vapors not purged condense to sludge, sludge can do harm to upper valve Trane possiblebly clog oil return ,starve vital spinning objects if you have such things in their!

30,955

Good call 7jimmy7. I was not thinking deep enough into this one.

6,515

Check Engine Light, lean codes (gas engine), unmetered air, un-filtered air, everything 7jimmy7 said and a computer that's operating in "Limp" mode (FMEM for Ford Techies) and really poor performance. I don't understand how Ford got away with using such inferior grade rubber hoses for PCV and EVAP systems but they did. I see failures like this all the time in our fleet.

USMC4life
5

I'm not getting any check engine lights. My biggest problem right now is that I once the truck is started and you give it gas black smoke pours out of the exhaust and I get maybe 1200 RPMS with the pedal all the way to the floor.... Any suggestions.