F250 flashing O D engine will only idle 1997 5.8

GolfCartJim
20

Asked by GolfCartJim May 06, 2013 at 05:01 PM about the 1997 Ford F-250 2 Dr STD Standard Cab LB

1997 F250 5.8. Truck ran fine, killed the battery....charged it up and  
trans OD light is now flashing and truck idles fine but soon as I step
on the gas it feels like I'm running on 3 cylinders

judge_roy

--you may have inadvertently jostled one of the ignition wires loose.~

judge_roy

if this has a distributor, take a look at the inside of cap for traces, if coil packs test the resistance of each pack and hot-to ground resistance~

judge_roy

may have cracked a brittle (butyl rubber) hose, replace all rubber with silicone, a little more costly but will not crack and leak~

judge_roy

What was wrong with your battery?...batteries will stop accepting a charge ten percent per year, if the battery is old isn't going to hold up it's end of the deal, will run the hell out of your alternator (if still working) and cannot be charged up to a load test {dead short for three seconds}, bounce right back and not see the dead-short type health that is expected from a healthy battery...they stopped using lead and are using an antimony/tin alloy~ You should check the age of your battery with the removal tabs on the top indicating the date...they are there for a reason...so we know when it's too late~

68,135

A blinking Trans OD light means a transmission error and could be as simple as doing a transmission fluid change to a faulty sensor or internal tranmission failure, like a torque convertor. I wouldn't drive it much further till you get it look at.

GolfCartJim
20

All are good answers. It has been raining here for a week.The reason the battery died is that I have an inverter installed and it got wet and shorted out. I discounted it, I charged the battery, (1 yr old) truck ran fine before the short out. It healed itself for about 10 min....light out and runs strong and smooth. Shut it off and when I came back out ....light flashing and stumbles when I step on the gas.

bob19762001
0

what fixed your ttuck

judge_roy

?