Why will my car turn over but not start?

tigergirl91
185

Asked by tigergirl91 Apr 10, 2013 at 03:33 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base

I changed the fuel pump a month ago and two weeks later i got out then went to go somewhere and it would not start. It turned over but it is like it is not getting gas.. I checked the fuel pump and filter and all is good. I drained the battery trying to start  it. please help

DavidH25

These are so hard to answer and give you a good response, there is just not enough information, I do not mean YOU, tigergirl, you did say you 'checked fuel pump' which is more that we get sometimes.. "My car won't start" gets posted often. And that's all. But let me ask: how did you check the fuel pump? What exactly did you do" When we try to do this, we must go to basics: Fuel. Air. Spark. A 10 year old car..not that old. Not at all. Okay, we will go with you have fuel. The '03 Malibu Base came with a 3.1 L V6 with coil packs. If you can beg buy borrow steal an OBD scanner, that would help us get you going we really need those fault codes. Do you think you can get one and scan your OBD? If you can do that bring the codes back here. I wish you the best of luck getting back on the road.

DavidH25

Read this page tigergirl: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_coil_pack/gm_coil_packs_1.php

45,675

Recharge the battery and squirt some starting fluid down the intake to see if it's a fuel delivery or spark problem.

tigergirl91
185

To check fuel pump we turn key and heard it movin and we also had fluid coming out a filter so it know it's not the filter and I checked all the fuses to the injectors and all the fuel system fuse and I cannot get OBD

tigergirl91
185

How do I squirt it in not sure where or how

DavidH25

Do you know where the air filter is? I don't have an image of that engine handy, I will look for one. But somewhere is a box, probably black plastic, on top of the engine or maybe off to the side; where the air goes in to the engine, and contains the air filter, that is the intake. It will have a couple sensors attached, and squirt about 2 seconds at most of starting fluid....pssssst, it does not take much Now going to see if I can find a picture of a 3.1 in a malibu

DavidH25

See the black box with the rubber 'accordion' looking hose behind the battery? The air filter is in there, that flex accordion hose goes to the engine, there will be another opening, not shown in this but it's a start to get you in the right direction, I don't know if tenspeed had in mind for you to take the filter out then squirt, some guys do that, some mechanics don't bother and squirt it right in the intake and let the starting fluid pass right through the filter it can be done either way but the ether is really not too good a thing to get on your filter but it evaporates very very rapidly

DavidH25

click on the picture

DavidH25

OK open the black box take the filter out and squirt in the direction of the engine, remember it does not take much, you can really do major damage using too much ether... like I say 2 seconds ought to be enough to find accomplish what we are trying to do here, you will need a helper, somebody to 'give it a shot' and somebody in drivers seat to try to start it immediately, it evaporates that fast. If it is a fuel delivery problem the ether will run the car for maybe 4 or 5 seconds on the fluid seconds then die. The MAF is in there between the filter and the aluminum intake to the engine. OK,n now..if it runs for a few seconds then dies it is a fuel delivery problem. If it does not even 'catch' and run we are back to a spark issue, lets cross that bridge when we get to it. Tenspeed is on to something, his advice is good, I am just elaborating because you asked

tigergirl91
185

Thank you for your help. as soon as i get home I will try ity and let you know what happenend. I also heard that it might be the theft system so I will try that to if what you helped me with doesn't do it and will let you know. Believe it or not I took 1yr of automotive tech training but it was so long ago i don't remember half the stuff i learned.

12,865

Security light on?

tigergirl91
185

Comes on and off but doesnt stay on

tigergirl91
185

My car is working.. It was the Theft systme. I had toi turn key to on position for 15 min then off for 1 minute and then start. It started riught up. Thankyou everyone for your help..

Salemgurl
20

I'm having the same issue with my 2009 Chevy Malibu LT. Has to have a jump start just to get the lights to turn on but the car engine will not turn over. I purchased the car a year ago pre-owned. I looked at all of the answers on how to start the car up with regarding the anti theft system but that does not work. HELP

12,865

Your 09 has a completely different security system on it. Check for fuel and spark. One is missing maybe both. Just because the fuel pump kicks on it doesn't mean the injectors are opening.

klewis72
70

Im having this issue but I think its a fuel delivery problem. My brother is a mechanic and we have tried everything we can think of and still nothing. We did put in a new battery too. This is a 1998 chevy malibu v6. I really need help pleaseeeeee

mzkeesha
0

when I get gas my car idles down and wont start immediately I start it go a little it idles down and shuts off. if I go on the freeway then it runs fine after it has finally run a few times right up like it has to build power back up the fuel pump has been replaced and a few other sensors as well and still the same issue we even replaced the fuel pump from a different store the dealer says I have leaks in the converter that may be the cause

BenedyT
0

Please everyone, i need your help, what could be wrong with my chevy, the engine is same as the above picture, it wont start whenever its less than 35degrees temperature, i was in the cold for over 5hrs before someone came to pick me up. please whatever you know could be wrong somewhere, please let me know what to do. Thanks alot in advance.

BenedyT
0

Am sorry for using this your thread tigergirl91, i really need an urgent reply. Thanks and you opinion is welcome too. everyone's opinion is welcome. Thanks yall

12,865

Get your battery tested, it may be weak, could need a tuneup, idle air control having a lot of carbon build-up could be leaning it out since the cold air is denser.

BenedyT
0

@John, thank you so much, will check the battery but could you please explain the air control part, where i can find it and if possible clean it up.

12,865

It will be on the throttle body, it will look like a big shot glass but black

BenedyT
0

Thank you