Why will my car turn over but not start?

tigergirl91
355

Asked by tigergirl91 Apr 10, 2013 at 03:33 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base

I changed the fuel pump a month ago and two weeks later i got out then went to go somewhere and it would not start. It turned over but it is like it is not getting gas.. I checked the fuel pump and filter and all is good. I drained the battery trying to start  it. please help

DavidH25

These are so hard to answer and give you a good response, there is just not enough information, I do not mean YOU, tigergirl, you did say you 'checked fuel pump' which is more that we get sometimes.. "My car won't start" gets posted often. And that's all. But let me ask: how did you check the fuel pump? What exactly did you do" When we try to do this, we must go to basics: Fuel. Air. Spark. A 10 year old car..not that old. Not at all. Okay, we will go with you have fuel. The '03 Malibu Base came with a 3.1 L V6 with coil packs. If you can beg buy borrow steal an OBD scanner, that would help us get you going we really need those fault codes. Do you think you can get one and scan your OBD? If you can do that bring the codes back here. I wish you the best of luck getting back on the road.

DavidH25

Read this page tigergirl: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_coil_pack/gm_coil_packs_1.php

56,785

Recharge the battery and squirt some starting fluid down the intake to see if it's a fuel delivery or spark problem.

tigergirl91
355

To check fuel pump we turn key and heard it movin and we also had fluid coming out a filter so it know it's not the filter and I checked all the fuses to the injectors and all the fuel system fuse and I cannot get OBD

tigergirl91
355

How do I squirt it in not sure where or how

DavidH25

Do you know where the air filter is? I don't have an image of that engine handy, I will look for one. But somewhere is a box, probably black plastic, on top of the engine or maybe off to the side; where the air goes in to the engine, and contains the air filter, that is the intake. It will have a couple sensors attached, and squirt about 2 seconds at most of starting fluid....pssssst, it does not take much Now going to see if I can find a picture of a 3.1 in a malibu

DavidH25

See the black box with the rubber 'accordion' looking hose behind the battery? The air filter is in there, that flex accordion hose goes to the engine, there will be another opening, not shown in this but it's a start to get you in the right direction, I don't know if tenspeed had in mind for you to take the filter out then squirt, some guys do that, some mechanics don't bother and squirt it right in the intake and let the starting fluid pass right through the filter it can be done either way but the ether is really not too good a thing to get on your filter but it evaporates very very rapidly

DavidH25

click on the picture

DavidH25

OK open the black box take the filter out and squirt in the direction of the engine, remember it does not take much, you can really do major damage using too much ether... like I say 2 seconds ought to be enough to find accomplish what we are trying to do here, you will need a helper, somebody to 'give it a shot' and somebody in drivers seat to try to start it immediately, it evaporates that fast. If it is a fuel delivery problem the ether will run the car for maybe 4 or 5 seconds on the fluid seconds then die. The MAF is in there between the filter and the aluminum intake to the engine. OK,n now..if it runs for a few seconds then dies it is a fuel delivery problem. If it does not even 'catch' and run we are back to a spark issue, lets cross that bridge when we get to it. Tenspeed is on to something, his advice is good, I am just elaborating because you asked

tigergirl91
355

Thank you for your help. as soon as i get home I will try ity and let you know what happenend. I also heard that it might be the theft system so I will try that to if what you helped me with doesn't do it and will let you know. Believe it or not I took 1yr of automotive tech training but it was so long ago i don't remember half the stuff i learned.

17,485

Security light on?

tigergirl91
355

Comes on and off but doesnt stay on

tigergirl91
355

My car is working.. It was the Theft systme. I had toi turn key to on position for 15 min then off for 1 minute and then start. It started riught up. Thankyou everyone for your help..

Salemgurl
20

I'm having the same issue with my 2009 Chevy Malibu LT. Has to have a jump start just to get the lights to turn on but the car engine will not turn over. I purchased the car a year ago pre-owned. I looked at all of the answers on how to start the car up with regarding the anti theft system but that does not work. HELP

17,485

Your 09 has a completely different security system on it. Check for fuel and spark. One is missing maybe both. Just because the fuel pump kicks on it doesn't mean the injectors are opening.

klewis72
140

Im having this issue but I think its a fuel delivery problem. My brother is a mechanic and we have tried everything we can think of and still nothing. We did put in a new battery too. This is a 1998 chevy malibu v6. I really need help pleaseeeeee

mzkeesha
0

when I get gas my car idles down and wont start immediately I start it go a little it idles down and shuts off. if I go on the freeway then it runs fine after it has finally run a few times right up like it has to build power back up the fuel pump has been replaced and a few other sensors as well and still the same issue we even replaced the fuel pump from a different store the dealer says I have leaks in the converter that may be the cause

BenedyT
60

Please everyone, i need your help, what could be wrong with my chevy, the engine is same as the above picture, it wont start whenever its less than 35degrees temperature, i was in the cold for over 5hrs before someone came to pick me up. please whatever you know could be wrong somewhere, please let me know what to do. Thanks alot in advance.

BenedyT
60

Am sorry for using this your thread tigergirl91, i really need an urgent reply. Thanks and you opinion is welcome too. everyone's opinion is welcome. Thanks yall

17,485

Get your battery tested, it may be weak, could need a tuneup, idle air control having a lot of carbon build-up could be leaning it out since the cold air is denser.

BenedyT
60

@John, thank you so much, will check the battery but could you please explain the air control part, where i can find it and if possible clean it up.

17,485

It will be on the throttle body, it will look like a big shot glass but black

BenedyT
60

Thank you

Ladiikie90
20

I have a 04 Malibu Classic. I changed the fuel pump but there's no gas comin from the gas line under the hood. I hear the pump come on and the gas needle work inside the car. When I try starting it jus turns over like it want start but it don't. I noticed when I turn the key to start the car my lights dim out and the radio clicks off until I stop turning the key. And I just brought a new battery.

17,485

The lights and radio are supposed to do that so the started is ensured it's getting the batteries full power, which fuel line did you pull off? Take a picture of the line and post it. When did you last replace your fuel filter?

hayleybug
80

I own a 2001 Malibu and I have been having a few problems with the theft system myself. I can't get it to quit going off. Like it will be ok for a few weeks then it will trip again. It is such a pain having to sit and wait 10-15 min. If I unplug the fuze to the theft system what would happen?

You think this is helpful.
brittney622
0

I have a 2012 Malibu and I am experience problems with my car not turning over. The Malibu will eventually turn over after being left alone for a couple hours.I took my car to the dealership were they stated they can not duplicate the issue, and have no idea whats wrong. The dealership ran the usual test like the battery, and starter..still no luck. ANY ONE HAS AN IDEA WHAT COULD BE WRONG. Please help

hayleybug
80

With your 2012 when it starts to act up like that just turn your key in the on position with your door open the whole time and let it set for about 10-15 mins then take the key out for about a min and it will start. Now this is the problem I am having with mine and it randomly does it. I HATE it! I would like to know if I can shut it off or get it to stop somehow?? Anyone!?

hayleybug
80

It all has to do with these idiotic theft systems in the mMalibu's!

Don Lee
20

i have a 2011 Impala LT, it turns of while i'm driving it. but once i stop, it starts right back up like nothing is wrong. I drive for a mile or two and it does it all again. I was driving from Houston to Dallas and was 31 miles away from my destination and it started that turn off mess again. Is anybody else having this issue, knows what it is, or how to fix it? REALLY REALLY NEED YOU ALL'S HELP PLEASE

fastkid
35

I have a Chevy Malibu LS 3.1 v6 it cranks, but doesn't start did the fuel pressure test everything on that was okay and read a 55 psi checked the wires and plugs. That's all good start is good tested the alternator. It was reading a 12.4 V, but I believe that's just for the diodes, it still can be something wrong with that. Can somebody please tell me what oh I can do thank you for your time.

17,485

Alternator output can't be tested while installed on a car unless the engine is running. Do you have spark on the coils? Check for injector pulse with a noid light.

johnnyjr670
0

I have a 2002 grand ponatic I just got a brand new alternator and my car over heated and after that day it turns over but won't crank anybody can help me but like lights and radio works .

RonSchw
10

I have a 1997 malibu that was shaking at idle for about a week. two days ago, shaking was occuring while driving. Now, idle problem is worse. Shuts down during idle and starts up like a champ! At stops, dies. today, i set the idle higher to compensate for a desire to shut down. No help. shut down anyway. Capable of moving a mile max before it shuts down. Any ideas of what is wrong?

Aholbroo
0

I am having a similar problem as tigergirl. My 2005 Honda Accord will not start without a jump--battery, alternator, and started check out ok. It doesn't start up without jump if I turn the key in "on" position only for 20-30 min. The reclining seat back quit working but I don't know if this is related or not--loose wire??? The fuses are all ok.

goldiegold2013
30

iam having problem with my 2000 mabuli it turns over but wont start i let it sit 10 min and than it start once in a while it shut off while running what can i do please help i put in a new fuel pump and two weeks later its starts again, please help me

Tammy Mc Intire
0

2002 Malibu starts runs 20-30 seconds and dies. replaced fuel pump 2 months ago, ran fine last week coming back door adjar light came on while driving daytime running lights stayed on as well as interior lights killed battery. replaced battery reset theft system started ran, but dead next morning. used Snap On Modis to scan no codes. trouble shooter said ignition switch, replaced it lighting issue is fixed but car still only runs 20-30 seconds. cleaned idle air control valve and no change. Help please!!!!

17,485

You replace the fuel filter?

Saw629
10

Same problem 2012 Malibu sprayed a squirt of starting fluid in intake finally started. Drove right to dealer Dealer has made 2 new keys 3 months ago replaced melted relay. Now same problem today back at dealer. 3rd time towed in made look at while not starting when they found melted relay. Getting really old.

Saw629
10

Just reported on nhtsa site. If everyone did this we could get a recall and solution

17,485

Melted relay means too much current.

Saw629
10

It is back at dealer for the 4th time no start. 3rd time could have been the relay but 4 times same problem. Have a feeling it is the ignition switch and anti theft problem. It acted like no fuel but yet if it starts ten minutes or 8 hours later it had fuel. Too intermittent

Saw629
10

Pretty sad could have changed a whole lot of parts for an anti theft problem. No fuel hey let's change the fuel pump. Starter is fine. The point is the problem isn't the 2 new $120 keys and the $400 in work but it is the anti theft causing no start

17,485

If it's an anti theft issue then only an idiot would have replaced the fuel pump. Anti theft doesn't disable the fuel pump it disables the injectors, you still get fuel pressure.

Saw629
10

Right this is our dealerships at their finest. They need to just do a recall and fix the issue on the malibu all year

Saw629
10

found problem with crank no start, another burnt wire due to faulty connector off the junction block. This is after original dealer replaced burnt junction block, fuel pump relay, they said nothing wrong with car. Like we just imagined it all. Couldn't recreate or give a code so they gave up. Had they finished the job they started in June this car could have been fixed back then.

Marshay Wright
0

I have a 2006 chevy malibu. I put gas in it one day it just shut off. I was told it was the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump, the canister, fuel lines, and the crank sensor and it still will not crank. Its getting the fuel delivery, but still will not crank? can someone help