v8 conversion

Asked by squarejohn99 Mar 27, 2010 at 08:34 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Impala Base

Anyone know if anyone has put a v8 in these or if it is even possible?

Kasper Buhl

Everything is possible, if it seems impossible use a sledgehammer and duck tape

Larry Quigley

It is possible but definitely not cheap or easy. It would require a ton of fabrication.

Jon Romero

Getting it to fit is the easy part. The fun one is going to be setting up engine control systems and wiring. Youd have to put a harness and control system out of whatever the engine is from if you'd want it to be fuel injected or buy an aftermarket engine management system like FAST. SCREW IT, throw an all mechanical carb motor in there and that'll solve your problems!!

Larry Quigley

I wouldn't bother swapping in a v8 unless it was going to be converted to RWD anyway.

Jon Romero

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP/Impala SS (W-body) not good enough with its 303hp LS4 v-8 fwd low 14-sec quarter stock?

Larry Quigley

Not really. Why would you want all the power trying to move the car AND steer it.

Larry Quigley

If you wanted that you could just add a supercharger to the v6.

Jon Romero

For that 4-door sedan moving the car and steering AND only being a tenth slower in the quarter than a comparable v-8 coupe which pushes with the rear wheels i think is pretty good. As per your supercharger, id rather turbo it if you wanted to make some real power and by that point your ideals have blinded you to the initial thought of this thread...just sayin Mr. Q.

Larry Quigley

How much steering do you have to do down a 1/4 mile track. Aside from fighting the torque steer. I suggested the supercharger since previous models like the GTP Gran Prix/ss had a supercharger that could possibly be used on his stock engine. Creating more power without the headache of an engine swap.

Jon Romero

And only got 260 crank hp...

I know hvent been on here in a little while but I haven 03 Impala and Im getting ready to do a v8 swap in it an changing it over to rwd yes it is alot of fab work but it will be fun and we are going off a sprint cup car platform